• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is dental ins. required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steve/GA

I am in GA, and have been looking at GA Law. The ex has brought up a review of the child support order, etc. While she can get the GA/peachcare ins. that pays 100% of doctor, hospital, dental, medicine for $15 a month on our 3 kids, she has decided to make me take out the medical ins. at work that is 40-50 a week, and you know how standard insurance pays, which she will be absolutely spiting herself with having to pay half of the portion that the ins. doesnt pay, not to mention the 400-500 med. deductible a yr alone.
However dental is not mentioned in the recommendation or the orginial decree or agreement, and neither can I find it addressed in the GA code. All it mentions is the requirement of the non-custodial parent to carry accident/sickness ins. Does anyone know anything concerning this? Is the non-custodial parent required to carry dental if it available, or is the non custodial parent even responsible for dental or othro work? I don't see any law that states they are...? Thanks

Steve

haiku

a parent is usaully only made responsible to provide AFFORDABLE insurance if available to them (usually through an employee plan).

If you or your ex has affordable ins. available through thier employer, yes you should be utilizing it to take the burden of your childrens care off of the tax payers.

but even so, some state sponsered insurances for low income families, will still cover children who are elgible. you may be able to cover the children as primary with your employee plan, and the ex if she has no employee plan may be able to still cover the balance under Peach care as secondary coverage. It all depends on how peachcare works.

Dental is usuallly always an extra coverage and not all employers offer it. So no, dental insurance is rarely mandatory. but, most decrees will cover the expense responsibilities of dental care in some way just as they do all other non insured medical costs. if ga. state guidelines do not address NCP responsibility for non insured coverage, and your personal decree does not, then you are not responsible for non insured charges.

The lowest costing / most benificial insurance should be the one provided. If she has aproblem with it tell her that you will pay the 15 dollars a month. If she doesn't like it take her to court to have it in writing. Seems kinda stupid to me because she is just conting herself more money in the long run here.

Phnx02

Steve/GA said:
I am in GA, and have been looking at GA Law. The ex has brought up a review of the child support order, etc. While she can get the GA/peachcare ins. that pays 100% of doctor, hospital, dental, medicine for $15 a month on our 3 kids, she has decided to make me take out the medical ins. at work that is 40-50 a week, and you know how standard insurance pays, which she will be absolutely spiting herself with having to pay half of the portion that the ins. doesnt pay, not to mention the 400-500 med. deductible a yr alone.
However dental is not mentioned in the recommendation or the orginial decree or agreement, and neither can I find it addressed in the GA code. All it mentions is the requirement of the non-custodial parent to carry accident/sickness ins. Does anyone know anything concerning this? Is the non-custodial parent required to carry dental if it available, or is the non custodial parent even responsible for dental or othro work? I don't see any law that states they are...? Thanks

Steve
More than likely, your ex is not the one making you provide medical insurance. Almost every state requires one of the parents (usually the NCP) to provide this insurance.....whether or not she's eligible for state assistance. Your insurance will be primary (billed first) and if she gets the peachcare, this will be in addition to & secondary. Dental is usually seperate from most medical insurance plans and you may or may not be ordered to provide it. If not, all dental, including ortho will fall under "uninsured medical expenses" of which you will each have 50% responsibility to pay. Same for eyecare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">