• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pre-employment job background check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rb785

What is the name of your state?MA

I posted a new thread a few days ago, and got to thinking about my application i filed out before my interview. I understand that they ask you for your past jobs. Well unfortunately about a year and a half ago i had a job with a small family owned convinent store. I only worked there for like a month and then was fired along with a few other employers because during a few shifts in one day there was a money bag missing in the amount of $1200.

They fired everyone who had worked that day because they did not get anyone to admit, and never found the money.
They had the police investigating it and well im guessing they found out who did it, because they never called me back to charge me (I did not take the money).
Anyways the point to this story is i did not put that job down on the application and am just curious if it is going to hurt me in anyway. I was getting paid on the books and was told that they can find out that i worked there and did not put it on my application. Im just worried if they do find it that they will think im trying to hide something and dont want that to make my chances slimer on getting the job. What should i expect?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

Q: Anyways the point to this story is i did not put that job down on the application and am just curious if it is going to hurt me in anyway.

A: Yes, if your new employers are worried about truthfulness in their employees; no, if not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Technically, what you did was falsify your application. That IS grounds for placing your application in the do-not-call pile, and if it is not discovered until after you are hired it IS grounds for immediate termination.

Whether your employers will catch the omission depends on how thorough a background check they do - not all background checks are created equal. However, don't assume that once the check is completed the you are absolutely in the clear; it's by no means impossible for them to catch it totally by accident in any number of ways even after the background check is complete.

All that being said, just because leaving an employer off an application is legitimate grounds for firing/not hiring doesn't mean that IS how the prospective employer will react. They may; they may not. That's entirely up to them; some employers will care and others won't.

Speaking as an employer who has done many a background check, in the future I would suggest that you list that employer, and when asked why you left tell them that it was a short term job; that while you were there there was a cash shortage and that everyone who worked that day, regardless of whether they were involved or not, was let go. If you can line up a number of references that will attest to your honesty, that should be enough. Frankly, even if you HAD been guilty, many employers are willing to forgive a mistake if the applicant is honest about it. Few are willing to forgive lies on the app.

rb785

cbg thank you much for your advice, you seem to know what you are talking about more than other members on this site i have seen. I will take your good advice with me in the future. Thanks.

S

seniorjudge

rb785 said:
cbg thank you much for your advice, you seem to know what you are talking about more than other members on this site i have seen. I will take your good advice with me in the future. Thanks.
....I agree....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">