• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Strip Search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starsnostar

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Last night I was at a private club when the police raided the club and put everyone in ziptie handcuffs and made us stand against the wall. We were then searched with our clothes on and we stood against the wall waiting for them to issue us our tickets..... after our tickets were issued we were fingerprinted and we had to stand against a different wall until we were taken down stairs to the bathrooms and strip searched. We were then given our ticket and drivers license back and they took us out to our cars and searched them then told to drive across the street to wait for anyone else who had been with us.

The tickets we were issused was for frequenting a drug house.

While I was detained I was never read any rights and was searched then strip searched then they searched my friend's car which I had the keys for. I didnt have anything on me and was just dancing at the club. Did they have legal rights to search us? Did it have something to do with all the homeland security stuff?

If anyone could help me out and let me know more about my rights and if they have been violated I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

S

seniorjudge

starsnostar said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Last night I was at a private club when the police raided the club and put everyone in ziptie handcuffs and made us stand against the wall. We were then searched with our clothes on and we stood against the wall waiting for them to issue us our tickets..... after our tickets were issued we were fingerprinted and we had to stand against a different wall until we were taken down stairs to the bathrooms and strip searched. We were then given our ticket and drivers license back and they took us out to our cars and searched them then told to drive across the street to wait for anyone else who had been with us.

The tickets we were issused was for frequenting a drug house.

While I was detained I was never read any rights and was searched then strip searched then they searched my friend's car which I had the keys for. I didnt have anything on me and was just dancing at the club. Did they have legal rights to search us? Did it have something to do with all the homeland security stuff?

If anyone could help me out and let me know more about my rights and if they have been violated I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Do y'all know each other?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=901524#post901524

Get a lawyer.

CdwJava

If people were arrested, they had good cause to search people. I'm a little concerned about searching people AFTER they have ben issued citations, however, as that essentially releases the person from custody. Lacking consent, any search done after the citation could be considered tainted I would imagine.

And no, it has nothing to do with "Homeland Security." I see this all over the place, and let me say definitively that "Homeland Security" and "Patriot Act" issues have not changed the way local law enforcement behaves one iota. Some special units that deal with terrorism MIGHT be doing a couple of things differently, but by-and-large, none of the post 911 stuff has changed us at all.

- Carl

starsnostar

If people were arrested, they had good cause to search people. I'm a little concerned about searching people AFTER they have ben issued citations, however, as that essentially releases the person from custody. Lacking consent, any search done after the citation could be considered tainted I would imagine.

With this is mind does this mean that the whole event was in violation against me, or just any evidence they would have found from the strip search.

Thanks
and-rew

CdwJava

starsnostar said:
With this is mind does this mean that the whole event was in violation against me, or just any evidence they would have found from the strip search.
It depends why the officers had you detained, and why they strip-searched you. They may well have had good cause. if they didn't, then there is a potential civil claim against them as well as the possibility that evidence might be suppressed.

However, it all depends on the details. We have YOUR side of the events - we don't know what the cops knew or what they believed at the time, and that will be very relevant at any court proceedings.

- Carl

starsnostar

Thank You. That makes sense. I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can to figure out what my rights are. I know some people at the club were arrested for previous warrents, and that some of the people who were searched were arrested for possession. I just dont understand why I was strip searched after i had already been phsyically searched with my clothes on. I didnt have anything when they searched me the first time so I dont see what they had to go on for a futher more intense search.

modlife

ACLU - I was there

I have found several similar cases where all "not guilty" pleas were dismissed. I will speak with my attorney tomorrow and post the details of my findings as soon as I get things in order. In the meantime, if you have any questions about your rights, the ACLU needs to hear from you. The more of us that call the more likely it is that we can find representation in this matter.

Their phone # is 313.578.6800.

Let everyone you know that was not involved in any way with any charges other than "frequenting..." that they should call the ACLU as well. I am not questioning if our rights were violated, I am questioning how many people were dumb enough to bring drugs to a bar in the first place. F@#$ing idiots, I hope they've learned not to do that anymore. As for us, we were at a bar( i was having a beer) when I was kicked, thrown down, and strip searched AFTER recieving a ticket that shouldn't have applied in the first place. I witnessed the same scenario with several people. I also just found out from a caller on my radio show tonight that several people that left the bar earlier in the night were detained and forced to RETURN to the bar to recieve the same citations. I hope this helps you a little. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Joshua C

F

Fat Tony

Stay out of Flint, MI. Thats your first mistake. You got Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrane, and Deputy Barney Fife on the same force. I got arrested there last year for "loitering for prostitution" or something like that because I was looking for a certain store right there on Martin Luther King, and I passed it, so I had to turn around and go back. The cop said off the record that I looked out of place (Im White), and he saw me going north and south on the same street, so I had to be trying to buy dope or pussy, and I guess thats a high prostitution area there, so they picked that one. Nevermind that I had out of state plates, out of state license, and a computer printout with the address of the store I was looking for. Spent a couple hours in jail, bonded out, and the charges were dropped at my arraignment. Never again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">