• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support litigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweethart

What is the name of your state? NY
I live in NYC and have temp custody of 2 grandchildren, as both parents were considered unable to care for them. A third grandchild is temporarily with my daughter on a voluntary basis (not court ordered. She is 13 years old and moved out a year before we got custody of her sibs).

We are filing for support against both parents. The question is: Can we demand that both parents pay the entire cost of support, or are we obligated to pay some portion thereof? Also, regarding the oldest child living with my daughter, we contribute significantly to her support as well. Who can ask for support in that case, do we or does my daughter? And the same question appiles who is obligated to pay? (Both parents work).
:)

BL

sweethart said:
What is the name of your state? NY
I live in NYC and have temp custody of 2 grandchildren, as both parents were considered unable to care for them. A third grandchild is temporarily with my daughter on a voluntary basis (not court ordered. She is 13 years old and moved out a year before we got custody of her sibs).

We are filing for support against both parents. The question is: Can we demand that both parents pay the entire cost of support, or are we obligated to pay some portion thereof? Also, regarding the oldest child living with my daughter, we contribute significantly to her support as well. Who can ask for support in that case, do we or does my daughter? And the same question appiles who is obligated to pay? (Both parents work).
:)
Have you or your Daughter considered filing for a grant of Temporary assistance from that State Agency for the care of the kids . Financial , medical ?

The Grants ( for each of yous separately ) would , and sounds like that extra support from that Agency would help , and the State would then Petition the Courts for support from the Parents .

Otherwise you and your Daughter separately will have to Petition the Court for support from both Parents .

If the Parents do not have high incomes , you would be better off going the route in the first part of my advice .

coupleneedshelp

Blonde Lebinese said:
Have you or your Daughter considered filing for a grant of Temporary assistance from that State Agency for the care of the kids . Financial , medical ?
Hi, this is interesting. what agency is this. do the people filing need to have low income? TIA

BL

look it up in your phone book or on line Different States call it different names Health and human service , temporary assistance Et

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">