• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desiguy

What is the name of your state?I live in UK and I got a employment contract for 1 yr to
do medical residency in USA on H1B visa.But do to family
reasons,I will not be able to come to usa for my training.
What can be legal ramifications of not joining my
employment.
My employment contract(under terms of agreement)only
mentions that the contract is of one year and early
termination of the agreement or subsequent reappointment
is dependent on hospital policy.It does not mention any
other termination clauses like how can an employee
terminate contract.
Can I be sued on this account,and what action can if any
my employer can take
Thanks the name of your state?PA

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What a great many people consider an employment contract, isn't. The strong likelihood is that what you have is not a contract but an offer letter. If that is so, then there are no legal ramifications whatsoever; all you need to do is notify the employer that due to changed circumstances you are unable to accept the offer. That's all; the employer will not be able to sue and there will be no legal consequences to deal with.

However, to be absolutely certain, you will need to show the document to an attorney; preferably one in PA. Only someone who has seen and read the actual agreement can determine if it actually is a binding and enforceable contract. If it is, the exact terms of the contract will determine what, if any, legal recourse your employer has, so again, only someone who has seen the agreement can interpret it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">