• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letter from Virginia tax department

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pita777

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey/Virginia
I worked in Virginia as a consultant for less than a two months in 2002 and about 1 and half month in 2003. I filed taxes for New Jersey for 2002 and 2003 but not for Virginia. My employer did not paid taxes for Virginia but paid to New Jersey . Now I got a letter from Virginia asking for a reason for not filing tax for the year 2002. What are my options now. What reply I have to give.

Thanks in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pita777 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey/Virginia
I worked in Virginia as a consultant for less than a two months in 2002 and about 1 and half month in 2003. I filed taxes for New Jersey for 2002 and 2003 but not for Virginia. My employer did not paid taxes for Virginia but paid to New Jersey . Now I got a letter from Virginia asking for a reason for not filing tax for the year 2002. What are my options now. What reply I have to give.

Thanks in advance.

My response:

If the letter started like this: "How ya doin', Hillbilly wannabe! This here's the Virginia Department of Taxes. Ya wanna pay sum o' dem buckos over yonder?"

Then pay no attention.

IAAL

tdavidl

probably should have filed a non-resident t/r, paying VA tax & claimning a credit on your NJ t/r.

you can still file that VA t/r for 2002 & then amend your NJ t/r to claim the credit paid to VA. do the same for 2003 as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">