• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state? MISSOURI

I am considering seeking child support from my ex-husband. We've been divorced for a little over a year, and there is no support order in place due to the fact that he was self-employed with no verifiable income at the time of the divorce, and that I agreed that it would cause undue financial strain on him to pay it. The amount in the decree (that was then dismissed) was $357/month.

Since the divorce was final, he has become 'gainfully employed', making almost 2x what I'm making. I am NOT interested in 'taking him for all he's worth', but I AM interested in my children having their needs met. While I'm currently scraping by, things would be a LOT easier if I was getting support.

My questions are:

1) Do I need an attorney to file for support? I currently have one on retainer, but it's for a custody issue, and I don't want to have to pay her $150/hour to file my CS request if it's something I can do on my own.

2) What info will I need to supply when filing?

3) I've thought about filing for assistance, which would (I think) make the state file for CS. If I choose this route, will they simply attempt to get from him whatever I'm getting in assistance, or will they actually use the 'calculator' for my state in an attempt to get what is actually fair? (Yeah, I like the idea of 'them' being the bad guy.

4) Are his debts taken into account when assessing CS? He's one of those people that will ALWAYS be in debt, no matter how much he makes.

5) He has a trust fund. While I had no rights to it, since he had it before we were married, is the income from those investments taken into account when deciding about child support?

6) I asked this question in another thread, but I'm putting it with these also so everything is together... I googled "Factors in Modifying Child Support in Missouri" and found this...

Here are some of the factors generally considered for modification:

* The parent's income and earning capacities.
* The assets that are available for support.
* The employee benefits of each parent.
* The income of a new spouse or cohabitant.
* The new family responsibilities of each spouse.
* The increase in the cost of living.
* The change in cost of rearing the child.
* The heath conditions of parents and child.
* The modification of custody arrangement.
The bolded text is what has me curious. I was under the impression (and it was posted in my original thread) that the income of a new spouse has no effect on support. This seems contradictory to that. However, if I go to the Missouri "Form 14" page and fill in information, it only asks for the income of the NCP. I'm confused.

7) If he have joint custody, with roughly 50/50 visitation, does the court figure things differently than the state calculator implies? When I filled in the information, I included the fact that he has them 1/2 the time, that he pays daycare and insurance for them, etc - and it still figured that I was owed $400+/month.

I'm guessing that more than a few of you have been through this. Since this is my first attempt at any sort of child support, I'm hoping for information that will make this as successful as possible.

VeronicaGia

Typically, the only reason a new spouses income would be taken into consideration is when deciding how much household income there is. In other words, since both are working, the other parents level of financial obligation to household expenses goes down.

They will not make the new spouse pay support. They will not figure support on the income of a new spouse. If they did, the divorce rate would be even higher then it is already.

And if you go down this road, be ready to fess up to your new spouses income when the time comes.

CJane

I am NOT going down any road. I was confused by ONE thing in ONE piece of information that I found. That's all.

There are 6 OTHER questions in the post. Why has everyone glommed on to the one bit of information that I found odd?

S

seniorjudge

CJane said:
What is the name of your state? MISSOURI

I am considering seeking child support from my ex-husband. We've been divorced for a little over a year, and there is no support order in place due to the fact that he was self-employed with no verifiable income at the time of the divorce, and that I agreed that it would cause undue financial strain on him to pay it. The amount in the decree (that was then dismissed) was $357/month.

Since the divorce was final, he has become 'gainfully employed', making almost 2x what I'm making. I am NOT interested in 'taking him for all he's worth', but I AM interested in my children having their needs met. While I'm currently scraping by, things would be a LOT easier if I was getting support.

My questions are:

1) Do I need an attorney to file for support? I currently have one on retainer, but it's for a custody issue, and I don't want to have to pay her $150/hour to file my CS request if it's something I can do on my own.

2) What info will I need to supply when filing?

3) I've thought about filing for assistance, which would (I think) make the state file for CS. If I choose this route, will they simply attempt to get from him whatever I'm getting in assistance, or will they actually use the 'calculator' for my state in an attempt to get what is actually fair? (Yeah, I like the idea of 'them' being the bad guy.

4) Are his debts taken into account when assessing CS? He's one of those people that will ALWAYS be in debt, no matter how much he makes.

5) He has a trust fund. While I had no rights to it, since he had it before we were married, is the income from those investments taken into account when deciding about child support?

6) I asked this question in another thread, but I'm putting it with these also so everything is together... I googled "Factors in Modifying Child Support in Missouri" and found this...

The bolded text is what has me curious. I was under the impression (and it was posted in my original thread) that the income of a new spouse has no effect on support. This seems contradictory to that. However, if I go to the Missouri "Form 14" page and fill in information, it only asks for the income of the NCP. I'm confused.

7) If he have joint custody, with roughly 50/50 visitation, does the court figure things differently than the state calculator implies? When I filled in the information, I included the fact that he has them 1/2 the time, that he pays daycare and insurance for them, etc - and it still figured that I was owed $400+/month.

I'm guessing that more than a few of you have been through this. Since this is my first attempt at any sort of child support, I'm hoping for information that will make this as successful as possible.

For child support, contact your local prosecuting attorney and ask if they have a child support enforcement unit in their office. They will tell you how to start the ball rolling.

You can also call the local office of the Division of Social Services to ask them who you talk to about your child support.

Or, if you want to start in Jeff, just contact these folks:

http://www.dss.mo.gov/cse/

CJane

Thank you. :D

Two more questions. I'm filing for a custody modification within the next week (I hope). Should I wait until it's over before I file for child support?

How often is child support awarded in a case of nearly 50/50 visitation?

S

seniorjudge

Q: Two more questions. I'm filing for a custody modification within the next week (I hope). Should I wait until it's over before I file for child support?

A: You don't have to wait; you can get child support while the suit is pending.

Q: How often is child support awarded in a case of nearly 50/50 visitation?

A: I have no idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">