• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condo assn move-out fees for renters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fxb720

State: Illinois

Hi,

I rent a condo unit in a Chicago high-rise. I'm ready to move out, and I just received a move-out package from the building management. Apparently, the condo association has decided to impose a $300 move-out fee for anyone leaving the building - whether tenants or unit owners. (In case it matters, I'm pretty certain this fee was imposed after my lease began.)

I checked my lease to see whether it mentions anything about this fee (or any condo assn-legislated fee), and it doesn't. The closest thing is a clause saying that "tenant agrees to abide by condo rules & regulations".

I did receive a booklet of condo rules & regulations when I signed my original lease back in 2003. It did not mention any move-out fees. I then signed a new lease in 2004 and did not receive another (updated?) booklet.

Am I obligated to pay this fee?

Please advise...thanks.

Some Random Guy

Contact the association. Get the latest CC&R booklet from them. if its not in the rules inform them that they will noe be getting paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">