• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania - final paycheck not released

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reb1979

(Pennsylvania) I'm new to the board and I hope somebody out there can help me. I have a problem. I was employed for company "A" for a period of approximately 2 1/2 years. I accepted a better position at company "B" and subsequently provided my two weeks notice. My last day of work was March 11 and my next subsequent payday was March 18 (PA law states that final paychecks must be provided no later than the next subsequent payday). I have discovered that as of today, March 21, they are still holding the paycheck.

The reason is this: I provided the company with a service outside of my normal duties (from-home work, a contract-type of project) in August of last year and was given a compensation package. The package was $2000 and a computer. I was given a ceiling of $2000 to spend on said computer. I decided to spend the $2000 to get the best possible machine and deduct the cost for the monitor ($350) from the $2000 monetary compensation. However, the contract was never written or signed off on by either myself or my former employer. Now he is holding my final paycheck until I return the computer which I received as compensation for my outside work.

My question is this: does he have any legal right to hold my check because of this? Also, am I legally bound to return the computer, or is it mine as I assert? Should I seek legal counsel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I very much doubt that he can hold your entire paycheck. I can't tell from what you have written whether he can hold back any of it or who the computer should belong to. Rather than calling an attorney, however, start by calling the PA Department of Labor and Industry. They are charged with investigating and resolving wage complaints. You can always talk to an attorney if they can't help, but they're free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">