• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ice/Water Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bizango1

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hi,

I’m wondering if it makes sense for me to file a claim. I have minor water damage on two ceilings from heavy snow and ice this year. I believe the gutters get clogged with ice and melting snow seeps in through the fascia boards. I believe a coat of paint will fix this problem but I’m not sure if there is unseen damage. I’m also not so sure it will occur again unless we get such heavy snow. Also a large chunk of Ice fell off my roof hitting a small bulkhead roof below. The falling ice cracked a few shingles and put a hole in the roof. This section will need to be repaired. I’ve been told not to claim it and fix it myself because my rates will go up. I’ve also been told my rates won’t go up because a state of emergency was declared during the storm that did this? Thanks in advance!

John

claimlaw

Pay a little now; Save a lot later!

Your CLUE report is the insurance industry's equivalent of your credit report.

Federally declared disaster area or not, your claim will have a negative impact on your CLUE report. This means that when an insurer, even your existing insurer, looks at you for underwriting/actuarial purposes, you will pay more for less.

The advice you were given is 100% accurate for mostly correct reasons.

Bottom line: Do not turn in the claim; Raise your deductible to something around $1000 or higher; Repair the house without using a company that specializes in Fire & Water damage restoration; Use your HO insurance as catastrophie insurance - not "damn, I don't want to pay for that" insurance; On questionable issues: get a repair estimate before notifying the insurer of a claim. Even if you withdraw the claim later, it stays on your report.

It gets hot enough in MA during the spring & summer to fully dry out the attic, insulation and the drywall. Seal the drywall with a shellac based sealer like Kilz or Binz and repaint. Pay a roofer a few hundred to do a matching roof repair. While he is in the roof have him spray an anti-microbial[clorox/water solution in a pinch]even though they[fungii] cannot endure the summer up there.

You'll be better for it.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">