• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crusin

What is the name of your state?Florida

I was ordered to pay my childs health insurance, which I have been doing and don't mind doing it.
My teenage daughter has become pregnant and told me that she has had to go the free clinic for prenatal because her mother had cancelled her health insurance.
What recourse do I have? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you saying that her mother has cancelled the insurance that you pay for?

If this insurance is through your employer, I promise you that the mother is lying. There is NO WAY your employer would allow her to cancel such a policy and the law limits when even you can cancel it. I've worked with group health insurance plans my entire working life - trust me on this one.

If this is a private insurance policy not through your employer, have you confirmed that this actually has happened? Even then, I think it would be tough for her to do without your knowledge.

Crusin

No, She is the custodial parent and was providing the insurance thru her employer, I was ordered by the court to pay (reimburse ) her for the expense. I found that she cancelled just my daughter from her insurance but continues to carry it on herself while forcing my daughter to seek other avenues. This was a court order to pay this to my x-wife and is included in the wage garnishments. So I cannot just stop paying or I will be in violation of the court order.

Crusin

Attorney? What Attorney. Ha Ha
When the divorce began we decided to make it as simple as possible. We did a "self help" divorce. Which did not turn out too bad for me. There were no real assets, no child custody issues, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

LdiJ

Crusin said:
Attorney? What Attorney. Ha Ha
When the divorce began we decided to make it as simple as possible. We did a "self help" divorce. Which did not turn out too bad for me. There were no real assets, no child custody issues, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:
Are you sure that you are getting the correct story from your child? It really doesn't make any sense that your ex would cancel employer provided insurance on a minor child. It doesn't make sense that she would take that financial risk. Have you actually talked to mom about this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">