• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption by step father without b/f consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovingmom73

Virginia

I just got married and my husband would like to adopt my 5 year old daughter. I have sole custody. Her b/f has not seen her or provided for her financially since she was one and a half. I would like to get his parental rights terminated and have my husband adopt my daughter. He's the only father that she knows and calls him Daddy. Do I have a chance of getting his rights terminated and going through the adoption procedure without getting his consent. I'm not sure where he lives. Thanks. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would suggest getting a lawyer's help as you're going to have to make a diligent effort to find the bioDad.

lovingmom73

I would like to terminate his rights without his consent. Although he wants nothing to do with our daughter, I believe he would not voluntarily consent just to get on my nerves. He knows where we live and he has said that he didn't want anything to do with our daughter. We went to court and that is basically how I got sole physical and legal custody. Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
All nice and fine. He would still have to be notified of the proceedings, and be given the opportunity to contest. It will be up to a judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">