• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hipaa Law Prescription Information Sharing Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmacdoogel

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Massachusetts

Hi,
This occurred in Massachusetts.
My wife noticed on her packet of birth control pills that the pharmacy had placed her prescription label right on top of someone else's label, and had sold the pills to her. It wasn't until she was calling for a re-fill that she noticed the other prescription label. When she pealed back her prescription label, the other one was right underneath.

We are concerned that the pharmacy has done this with other peoples information and we believe it is a violation of HIPAA, as we can clearly see this other persons name, address prescription and other pertinent information.

What is the best course of action for us to pursue this?
What are the potential outcomes? At a minimum, we want the pharmacy to acknowledge their wrongdoing, and somehow be assured it will never happen again.

Thanks

kmacdoogel

follow up - additional info

The store manager called my wife and told her it was standard procedure to put a second label on prescriptions that were not picked-up by someone else, and then give it out to someone else. I don't believe this is right or legal, especially when they didn't remove the previous label.

Any thoughts?

ENASNI

You know

I do not think it is a good practice... I do think some laws are being broken here...

It is a scary thought..That is my thought..

Sorry nothing else, but I bumped it up. Maybe someone else will post

matti422

I can't really comment on HIPAA laws, but I would imagine the only person able to request the pharmacy correct their procedure is the person who's information was not held confidential. Since you don't have any proof that it was your (or your wife's) information which was shared, you may not be the person to get the pharmacy to correct the mistake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">