• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

supporting ex, her bf and their child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

totsinma

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?MA

My ex wife moved to FL after we separated. I'm paying her $200/week (we have no children together). My ex never showed up at the divorce hearing. The judge based her alimony decision on my ex living with her brother in FL. I have come to find out the reason she didn't show up was because she was 6 months pregnant with her boyfriend's baby. They have been living together for 2 years now, but I assume because of her alimony, aren't getting married. On your site, I found information on a bill in the FL Senate ( S - 152 ) regarding cohabitation and alimony. Would this bill help in getting alimony reduced or stopped since she resides in FL? Our divorce took place in MA, which is where I reside currently. I'm remarried with a new baby. She's got her own family now, as do I. I feel it's unfair to have to support my ex, her boyfriend and their child. I'm in the military, so as it is, my pay fluctuates according to where I am based. Is there any bill you know of that could help me in MA? I'm currently motioning the court for an alimony reduction/dismissal. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

the_engin_eer

luxury

$200 a month, $2400/year... you could burn up that in one lawyer's visit. think about how much you once loved her. Concentrate on the good times. Why not baffle the $#!7 out of her and make it $250 next month. I suggest put a little note in with the cheque telling her to take her beau out for dinner, on you. Guaranteed the best $50 you will ever spend. Then, the following months suggest other things to do with the extra $50, like a little present for the child etc. Soon her beau will be sending the cheques back to you, or maybe you will start getting along and become great friends. Believe me, the relationships you maintain in your life are important and the friends you keep mean more than the money you keep. Somebody has to make the first move to the right. If you want something badly, first give it away. You will get it back double, only not the way you think.

Separated 3 years, I just decided to pay $650 (canadian) per week (about $3000/mo, more than half my take-home) for the last two years with no court order and no tax deduction. Oh yeah, I don't like shopping so I gave her an extra $1500 at Christmas to shop for the kids. I figure that is still cheaper than the ill health and bills that could be generated by visiting lawyers. Three of our kids are on their own. Our 13 y/o lives with her. She is living with her bf and their 1y/o daughter in the house we deeded to her mother 5 years before I declared bankruptcy a year ago. I still love her but this week, maybe after Easter dinner, I think it is time to tell her that I need to get a life too. I think I will pay her $200/week for our youngest (still more than the guidlines) and then I have to foot the bill for our second youngest's college costs starting in September.

At 50 I have ZERO assets but there is no family squabble, even my ex's new bf and daughter like me. You don't know how good I feel that we get along while so many others are battling to the death with kids in between. I am the brokest I have been in my life but I feel the richest. The true test will come when I cut down the payments so maybe I don't have to ride the bus all the time on a 6-figure income. Wish me luck.

...if it ain't working one way, try the exact opposite.

totsinma

It's $200/week. I would LOVE a judgment for $200/month. Given the fact that she is receiving support from her boyfriend though, I don't feel like I should have to pay a dime. By the way, to add insult to injury, she also knowing listed me as the father of THEIR child. She's the type of person that unfortunately, you can't remain friends with.

momtooo

Whew! That last post was nuts. I think he's full of it. I'm not sure about cohabitation laws in Florida. Go to www. Fl.gov.org to look at the bill and to see if it has passed. If your ex listed you as the father of her child. You could fight this with a dna test. Has she asked for child support?

Good luck! :rolleyes:

LdiJ

totsinma said:
It's $200/week. I would LOVE a judgment for $200/month. Given the fact that she is receiving support from her boyfriend though, I don't feel like I should have to pay a dime. By the way, to add insult to injury, she also knowing listed me as the father of THEIR child. She's the type of person that unfortunately, you can't remain friends with.
If you are listed on the BC as the daddy you better do something about that...and darned quick....or you are going to someday find yourself responsible for not only alimony, but child support!

totsinma

Paternity

LdiJ said:
If you are listed on the BC as the daddy you better do something about that...and darned quick....or you are going to someday find yourself responsible for not only alimony, but child support!
Trust me, I took care of that ASAP. Ironic thing is, she and her boyfriend didn't understand why my wife and I were so upset about her listing me as the father. She even had the nerve to get mad at me when I obtained a lawyer to rectify this issue.

djohnson

If you have a lawyer I don't understand why he didn't fight this alimony. I seems way extreme to me, on the surface anyway. Why was she awarded this? Is it her share of your marital assets? Who got the rest of assets and debts? How long were you married? It couldn't have been that long. How long is this alimony for? Forever or a certain amount of time?

LdiJ

djohnson said:
If you have a lawyer I don't understand why he didn't fight this alimony. I seems way extreme to me, on the surface anyway. Why was she awarded this? Is it her share of your marital assets? Who got the rest of assets and debts? How long were you married? It couldn't have been that long. How long is this alimony for? Forever or a certain amount of time?
Since we don't know how long they were married and we don't know the OP's income...or the property settlement we honestly can't say whether or not its extreme. I hope it wasn't her share of the marital assets...because if it was the OP could end up getting hammered by the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">