• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbvol

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was fired while I was on vacation. My company will not pay me my owed commisions ($30,000) plus I have a non compete that they are threaten me with working in the industry. If you get fired for no cause does a non compete still hold up.Plus they are telling customers that they fired me because of my the medicine that I take makes me have behavior problems. Can they keep my commisions?

Beth3

My company will not pay me my owed commisions ($30,000) Contact your State's Department of Labor. Whether they can help you will be determined by whether your State considers commissions as wages. If they can't, then you'll need to consult with an attorney.

plus I have a non compete that they are threaten me with working in the industry. You signed a non-compete. They don't have to threaten anything.

If you get fired for no cause does a non compete still hold up. That depends entirely on the terms of the non-compete. (I imagine there is some sort of "cause" however, at least in your employer's opinion. I doubt they fired you just for the fun of it.)

Plus they are telling customers that they fired me because of my the medicine that I take makes me have behavior problems. Firing you for behavior problems is not illegal nor is telling others about it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you get fired for no cause does a non compete still hold up

That depends on the wording of the non-compete. The law does not automatically void all non-competes if you get fired. Neither does it specify that the non-compete automatically holds.

Can they keep my commisions?

That's a question you'll have to ask of the TN DOL. In my state, you'd be entitled to the commissions on any sale you closed, but not for those that you may have begun to work but someone else finished.

Consult local counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">