• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stripped of Position

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caragent1

What is the name of your state?North Carolina.
Can an employer take away a position from you just because you tell him you're pregnant???

caragent1

Stripped

It was an office manager position. Mainly sitting behind a desk and typing in information. I was a Property & Casualty Insurance Agent. I wrote auto insurance policys. There was no strenuous activities, or anything that i couldn't have done. It was a pie job. The boss just didn't care for kids at all, and had no consideration when it came to anything about them. I could perform any and all my duties and then some with no problems, but he stripped my title, "WITHOUT EVEN INFORMING ME PERSONALLY". Someone called and asked to speak to the office mgr, and as i was about to speak from the back office, he replied "Well, actually, we don't have an office manager right now".That is how i found out that i was not office mgr anymore. Not very professional in my opinion.The position was taken not because of anything i did, but because of his prejudice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, let's go at it this way, and before you get defensive understand that I am leaning in the way that what the boss did was not legal. But without additional information I can't say for sure. I can certainly think of situations in which what you described would be legal.

Please answer the following:

Are you still employed?
Have your job duties changed in any way?
Had you said or done anything recently that might have resulted in disciplinary action (and I need you to be really honest about this).
What EVIDENCE, other than the timing, do you have that he did this BECAUSE OF your pregnancy?

purple2

And are you sure this wasn't just an inappropriate comment made out of anger, rather than a true indication of demotion?

caragent1

Stripped

No i am no longer employed there but by my own choice. I did not go back after the birth of my child. And as for any other circumstances, there weren't any. I did my job exceptionally. The employer was & is still a running joke at the local employment agency due to the turnover of employees from his office. I was one of the few that stayed longer than a year. He is a considerable grump to all of his employees and doesn't treat any of them with very much respect, but demands they give him the utmost respect.
he is in poor health & his eyesight is terrible, anything he does incorrectly in the office he finds someone else to blame it on, from a misfiled file, to an incorrect amount typed in for a policy. I know i'm still upset, but even his daughter who worked there for 15 years ended up on nerve pills from his rantings at her in the office, and finally got the courage to find another job.
I did nothing to warrent losing my position. He was totally wrong.

caragent1

Stripped

I basically quit in april of 2002. My child ws born the 29th and i told him i woild'nt be back due to the actual truth (other than being extremely upset at him), that with 2 children in day car it would run me $320.00 a week. That would mean i would only bring home 32.50 a week. Not worth working.
Also, there was no extenuating circumstances or any reprimands of any kind. Just a very grumpy rude business owner. When i first told him i was pregnant, he looked at me like i had the plague. He said "Was I pregnant when he made me office mgr"? I told him the truth, that no i wasnt pregnant at that time i was made office mgr, nor did i plan to get pregnant at that time. Heck , I had just gotten my agents license, i was hoping for at least 2 to 3 more years before i thought about another baby.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are LONG past the time when you can take any legal action. Even if you had a signed and notarized letter from him admitting that he demoted you solely because you were pregnant and for no other reason, you couldn't do anything about it. There is a limited time frame wherein you can make any legal claim for discrimination issues and it ran out over two years ago.

You've waited too long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">