• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Math Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nagol818

What is the name of your state?PA

I am moving so I am trying to figure out a rough budget for myself once the baby is born so I went to a child support calculator for Oregon, as I am supposed to, but I am confused on a few things. Oregon goes by gross monthly income. Is there someone who could help me figure this out?

1 child(newborn)
NCP does not have any other children
I(CP) makes $30,000 per year or $2500 per month gross
NCP makes $85,000 per year or $7083 per month gross
Daycare will cost $168 per wk
Insurance will be free(the benefits of my job :D )

My calculations come out to either $1282 or $1240 per month CS.

1 The reason I can't figure it out is $168 x 4 = $672 (48 weeks in year) OR $168 x 52 = $8736 / 12 = $728 (52 weeks in year). What system does CS use.....4 weeks in month or 52 weeks in year?

2 Does the total amount owed to me for CS and daycare combined seem high no matter which figure is right???? Everyone on this forum seems to collect somewhere around $300-$700.

Phnx02

nagol818 said:

I am moving so I am trying to figure out a rough budget for myself once the baby is born so I went to a child support calculator for Oregon, as I am supposed to, but I am confused on a few things. Oregon goes by gross monthly income. Is there someone who could help me figure this out?

1 child(newborn)

1 The reason I can't figure it out is $168 x 4 = $672 (48 weeks in year) OR $168 x 52 = $8736 / 12 = $728 (52 weeks in year). What system does CS use.....4 weeks in month or 52 weeks in year?

2 Does the total amount owed to me for CS and daycare combined seem high no matter which figure is right???? Everyone on this forum seems to collect somewhere around $300-$700.
Each case is different.....depending on what the state guidelines are. Some states take 20% of the NCP's net income (for 1 child), while others use the "shared income model". Some include daycare costs as part of monthly cs, while others consider this totally seperate. And even still, many times an attorney can successfully argue a deviation from the guidelines....more or less depending on the circumstances.

Don't be concerned about your calculations being "too high. It all depends on a person's earnings. The average median income in the US is something like between $30-40K. My ex makes close to $100K a year, thus according to our state law and the fact that he has no other children, he has to pay over $1,000 a month in cs AND 1/2 daycare expenses. I am fortunate.

Trick Question?

No, the amount seems correct.

What? You think boob jobs are free?!

Sorry...I couldn't resist after that last post. The CS calculator will use 52 wks/yr. This can be adjusted to reflect the ACTUAL amount of daycare provided.

nagol818

I don't need anymore boob! That's for sure! Well, maybe a little more perk. lol

I think I found a specific answer to my OP. Maybe this could help other fellow forumers in the future.

To figure out how much monthly child care costs would be based on a weekly rate you multiply the weekly rate by 4.33. You can also use this for wages and other weekly costs. For example: In my OP I was using $168 per week child care costs....$168 x 4.33 = $727.44. Apparently, no matter what month it is the amount will still be $727.44....an average of all months.

No, I definitely don't want anymore boob. Althought, I'd like to get rid of this extra chin I've been growing since I've gained weight from being pregnant. I wonder how much that costs! I might look into that. lol Calling all plastic surgeons out there! How much for a chin job?

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This is a matter of really simple math. 52 weeks. 12 months. 52/12 = 4.3 weeks/month.

(edit) Also, remember that Dad will only be responsible for PART of the daycare, not ALL of it. It may be split proportionally, or it may be split 50/50 - that's up to the judge/CSE.

Also don't forget to factor in transportation costs related to visitation. You may be required to foot that bill. OR, Dad may get a credit if he has to pay to travel cross-country to see his child.

Last edited:

nextwife

Just curious where the father lives, as you are planning to move so far from your present location. You DO realize that if you establish yourself cross country from your child's father, your child WILL eventually be travelling cross country for visitation with their father and spending most of their school breaks and summers at dad's on the other coast, should he wish to file for visitation and have more than a financial relationship with his child..

rmet4nzkx

nagol818 said:

1 child(newborn)

I get 1253 using 0 ncp parenting time and calculating that you also have a nonjoint child this was made with you paying all the child care cost
http://dcs.state.or.us/calculator/
However, you live in PA and you will get different figures there and will have to calculate gross/net incomes and there http://www.pennglazier.com/support/

I read you other thread, one of the posters gave you incorrect information.

You live in PA and the paternity/custody/child support and visitation cases will be in PA unless you move to OR and the child is born there, however OR CSE will enforce PA's CS orders at the rate determined by the PA courts. Normally he will be responsible for transportation costs because he is the one creating the distance from the child. Also I noticed that you had different amounts for NCP income more than $93K is that gross and $83K net? It is really important to keep the same thread going and giving accurate facts. One of the things that the court will decide is who pays for child care, sometimes NCP pays all of it, sometimes it is split. Remember that while you may have medical insurance paid through your employment, this can be assigned to either parent if it is provided through employment but it is usually assigned to the NCP so the extra medical expenses are usually split 50/50, in your case since you are providing medical insurance, you might petition that he pay all the extra costs up to a certain figure (the computed amount of your insurance benefit) then 50/50 after that. That is also a figure in the calculations.

You can file your paternity case prior to your child's birth and the DNA will be done after the birth unless there is a medical reason to do amnio before. It is common for unmarried couples to do DNA and since he moves around, realize you may not be the only one he is having sex with but if he has other children you don't know about, that may affect your child support calculations if your child is not his first child. Even if he marries you, get the child support order and do the DNA so there is never a question and you have an order if he doesn't return to the US when his employment ends in the US. Also you will want to become informed on precautions for international travel so that visitation doesn't turn into a nightmare. Consider precautions re passport
http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/country/country_540.html

rmet4nzkx said:
You live in PA and the paternity/custody/child support and visitation cases will be in PA unless you move to OR and the child is born there, however OR CSE will enforce PA's CS orders at the rate determined by the PA courts.

Child support in PA is determined by the NCPs state. Check out the state's child support website www.pachildsupport.com, its clearly explained on their FAQ section.

"The establishment of a child support order, or the enforcement of a child support order, will be handled by the Child Support Enforcement Agency in the noncustodial parent's state of residence. The Pennsylvania Domestic Relations Section in the county of residence of the custodial parent will serve as the custodial parent's point of contact with the other state."

and

"The Domestic Relations Section in the county of residence of the custodial parent will ask the custodial parent to provide information needed to complete the necessary documents that will be sent to the noncustodial parent's resident state to establish a child support order. The noncustodial parent's resident state will then use this information to establish a court order of support. "

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Now I remember the posts (and this is why it helps to provide basic background in a new thread OR keep posts together in a thread). Ignore what I said about transportation costs.

LdiJ

nagol818 said:

1 child(newborn)

Its based on 52 weeks a year not 48. No, it doesn't seem high for his income level.....however some states do have a point at which CS tops out...and the online calculators don't always reflect that.

rmet4nzkx

curiouscat623 said:
Child support in PA is determined by the NCPs state. Check out the state's child support website www.pachildsupport.com, its clearly explained on their FAQ section.

"The establishment of a child support order, or the enforcement of a child support order, will be handled by the Child Support Enforcement Agency in the noncustodial parent's state of residence. The Pennsylvania Domestic Relations Section in the county of residence of the custodial parent will serve as the custodial parent's point of contact with the other state."

and

"The Domestic Relations Section in the county of residence of the custodial parent will ask the custodial parent to provide information needed to complete the necessary documents that will be sent to the noncustodial parent's resident state to establish a child support order. The noncustodial parent's resident state will then use this information to establish a court order of support. "
NCP is on a VISA, he has no residency in Oregon and moves around. Please look at the implications of the law and the use of the word "OR" all by it's self has a different meaning than, and/or together, in this case custody will be established in PA and Oregon will ENFORCE child support ordered in PA.

bononos

nagol818 said:

1 child(newborn)

I saw this in from another poster and thought it was pretty detailed for PA.
http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/PA/cal/PACSC.html

nagol818

Cool to all the posts!! I'm gonna try to play catch up.

What has changed from this thread?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=222564

Well, I was asking a general question about money so I didn't think it really pertained to my other thread. Yes, it's the same soap opera but a different subject. Plus, I didn't think we would get into all this other stuff about my story but it's definitely cool. I can always use the advice.

NCP is on a VISA, he has no residency in Oregon and moves around.

The NCP has residency in Oregon I thought. He has been there for over 6 months and has an apartment lease. He plans on living there as long as the US allows him to. His Visa is up in 4 years. He travels during the week for work and then he's back home on the weekends.

Also I noticed that you had different amounts for NCP income more than $93K is that gross and $83K net?

This is after retirement is taken...maybe that doesn't matter though.

Just curious where the father lives, as you are planning to move so far from your present location. You DO realize that if you establish yourself cross country from your child's father, your child WILL eventually be travelling cross country for visitation with their father and spending most of their school breaks and summers at dad's on the other coast, should he wish to file for visitation and have more than a financial relationship with his child..

We're already across the country from each other. I'm in PA and moving 10 minutes away. He is in Oregon. That's our whole problem to begin with. I won't move to Oregon right now to be a kept woman with no friends or family support while he travels during the week for work.

Also don't forget to factor in transportation costs related to visitation. You may be required to foot that bill. OR, Dad may get a credit if he has to pay to travel cross-country to see his child.

Actually, Stealth, you may be very right on this because neither of us created the distance. I was wondering about something though. I'm learning very quickly all kinds of things about him that I never knew so I'm beginning to wonder if he will even be a part of this child's life once he/she is born. So what if traveling is factored into our CS order and I receive much less since he is coming quite a distance and then ends up not coming at all and therefore is really not paying any transportation expense? How do I handle this? During our modification hearing years down the road do I bring this up and possibly it will be changed or do I notify Domestic Relations immediately for a modification?

Thanks everyone for your input. I will be sure to stick to one post next time. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly.

Last edited:

nagol818

curiouscat623 said:

and

This is what I am understanding too. My 12 year old's father lives in Alaska and they are the one who seems to be more proactive concerning CS. PA just seems to sit back and follow their lead.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">