• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support in Tennessee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floala

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I am soon to enter into a divorce after 24 years of marriage. One child is 15 (child support is fine) and the other is 18 (I'll help with college and support, of course). She has a Masters Degree and teaches as a tenured teacher earning about $47000. I sell and average an income of $75000. I want her to have the house if at all possible to continue to raise my son and the house is nearly paid for...worth $208000 and only owe $17500 (I'll pay it). Am I being too generous? Will there likey be spousal support? Any idea how much the judges have been awarding in cases like this since there isn't a formula?

totsinma

I think everything you are doing is very generous.....maybe too generous. Have you asked her if she wants spousal support even with all you are willing to give her? Even though alot of divorces start out nice, some turn mean. She might try and take you for everything she can get. My advice is to have you both go to a mediator or obtain legal counsel so you aren't taken advantage of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">