• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS has wrong data

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvogel

What is the name of your state? California
My yearly SS statment says I had no income in 1975 but I did. I have no records to prove it and when I called the IRS they said they don't go back that far. I am 58 and have been in the work force since 1971, paying the maximum SS tax each year since about 1984. I plan to retire at the maximum retirement age. Will this error significantly affect my benefits? And how can I get it corrected?

bjl1105

jvogel said:
What is the name of your state? California
My yearly SS statment says I had no income in 1975 but I did. I have no records to prove it and when I called the IRS they said they don't go back that far. I am 58 and have been in the work force since 1971, paying the maximum SS tax each year since about 1984. I plan to retire at the maximum retirement age. Will this error significantly affect my benefits? And how can I get it corrected?
Yes, this error could affect your benefit amount. If your employer is still in business, ask for records from them. You need to provide proof to social security that you paid FICA tax to get credit for that year. ie: W2, Employer statement etc. Contact SSA and ask for assistance if you are unable to obtain records. They also keep records of wages not correctly posted by employers, and may be able to locate your lost wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">