• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can I expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yevoc27

What is the name of your state? virginia

I have been notified that I have an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in court. The notice I received had a phone number to call which was for the local police department. The officer I spoke with told me I needed to turn myself in at the station on a specified date and time in the near future. He informed me that this was because the afternoon of that date I was scheduled to appear in court on the outsatnding warrant charge. I asked if I could go directly to the courthouse and was told no since I had already failed to appear once. I was told that if I did not arrive at the police station at the appropriate time, I would be arrested.
What can I expect when I go to the police station? From what I was told, I will be there for several hours prior to going to court. Will I be put in a cell? Also, there is the issue of going to court. The police station is not near the courthouse, so I will be transported in a police car I assume. Does this mean that I will be handcuffed and/or shackled? Also, the original charge was driving 75 in a 55. What does my failing to appear do to the severity of the punishment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">