• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental Rights????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chkuschel

What is the name of your state? California
I have a six year old daughter that my husband would like to adopt but I have called her biodad and he refused to allow it he has not seen her since she was 8 mo. old and she is almost 7. I am not sure how to go about having his parental rights terminated. He has never paid child support nor has he tried to contact us he has our number every time that we moved I called him and gave him the new address and number what should I do? My daughter wants to have my husbands last name and he has always taken care of her he really loves her and wants to adopt ???????? Thank you for any comments :D

ksjane

I know this is long, but well worth the read. In Kansas, my SIL had the same problem. Bio dad disappeared when child was 2 months old, and bio mom remarried. Bio dad did not see, attempt to contact, or pay child support. Bio mom got an attorney (which is highly recommended in adoption cases--just to cover all grounds) bio dad's rights were terminated due to abandonment (against his wishes) and "step-dad" adopted. Simple as pie (aside from the money it took to hire an attorney--but again, well worth it). Bio dad did petition against the termination and adoption, but lost due to legal abandonment (no contact or support) Hope this helps, best wishes.

http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/general/legal/statutes/groundtermin.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">