• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uifsa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sillycat

What is the name of your state? WA

My Boyfriend pays child support. He had a couple hundred in arrears that we paid off recently and since then he has been on-time. We got a notice in the mail that said the state of South Dakota was going to garnish his wages for child support. He has never been to South Dakota and the mother of the child does not live in South Dakota but her mother does. South Dakota started to garnish wages for what they said were arrears. He called his case worker in WA and they said he was paid in full and there was no reason to garnish. They said they didn't know why SD was doing this.

After two months of phone calls back and forth and garnishment of two paychecks while also paying full support in WA, SD finally said they were wrong. They said the mother opened the account in SD trying to get the arrears (that were already paid to her) and closed it a couple weeks later. My boyfriend got a check in the mail from SD for only a couple dollars saying here is your money back. They kept exactly the same amount as the current support. When he called asking where the rest of his money was they said they didn't know.

Today he called again and he found out that when they sent him the check for those couple dollars, they sent the mother the rest of the money directly to her bank account. So she was paid twice for the same month with two different states. Isn't this against the law with the Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)? SD knows they broke the law and said there is nothing they can do to get the money back.

What can we do?

TiredoftheGames

I hope someone provides a good, educated answer to your post soon. I understand your frustration. Our CSE agency is trying to collect money that has already been paid to CP.

Lots of prayer and good luck - you'll need a lot of both to keep your cool ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">