• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edengonzalez

What is the name of your state? nevada

What is the gift tax amount on something that is about worth about $75000?

I posted on the real estate forum and was directed here by them.

edengonzalez

a little more info

state nevada
my husband and I own vacant land out right. we would like to give it to his father who is 68. and still working 2 full time jobs. so that he can sell it in a few years to retire on. What kind of gift tax would we pay? or do we just file a gift tax return and have some sort of tax free allownce? when he sel ssit will hehave to pay capital gains or is there some kind of endof life exemption clause he can take advantage of? th FMV is about 80K

tdavidl

depends. have you used up your unified credit ? if not, use it & pay not tax.

if your the recipient, no tax on gifts received.

tdavidl

you can gift upto $11k to an individual per year which is exempt from the gift tax filing, $22k per year if a joint gift (i.e. in this case, you & your husband gift together). these were 2004 amounts, they may have gone up in 2005.

so in this case, consider gifitng your dad a 1/3 interest this year, 1/3 in 2006, 1/3 in 2007. becuase of minority interest gifting issues these 1/3rds gifts would probably be valued less then $22k & therefore, no gift tax return required.

otherwise, you can gift it all in 2005, file a gift t/r & use $58k of your unified credit & not pay any gift tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">