• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I quit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckiec7

What is the name of your state? FL

I was asked to answer questions during an HR investigation and in one of my answers I mentioned wanting to put in my two weeks' notice. HR has decided to accept my resignation and said that I am not eligible for rehire because according to them I quit. I never formally put in my resignation can they say they've accepted it and that I quit?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can.

It is generally wise not to mention to anyone at your workplace that you are thinking of giving your notice unless you are prepared to be immediately taken at your word.

Depending on the exact circumstances, you might be eligible for unemployment. However, no law requires that you formally resign or that they wait for a written resignation before they accept it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">