• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired without reason, lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nowsadparent

Indiana

My wife has been at her job for a little over two weeks now. Last night at her place of employement, while she was off the clock for hours, she spoke to another person about turning in the manager for theft. This morning, when she went into work, that manager that she was going to turn in, fired her stating that many people have said that my wife was giving away free things, thousands in her words. I know my wife is telling me the truth that she didn't do any of that. The manager also said that my wife was giving away free items to "her friends" yet we just moved to Indiana a few weeks ago and we don't know anyone. Is this a case for a lawsuit or not? If anyone would have any advice on this, please reply, we don't have much money for a lawyer. Thanks.

S

seniorjudge

nowsadparent said:
Indiana

My wife has been at her job for a little over two weeks now. Last night at her place of employement, while she was off the clock for hours, she spoke to another person about turning in the manager for theft. This morning, when she went into work, that manager that she was going to turn in, fired her stating that many people have said that my wife was giving away free things, thousands in her words. I know my wife is telling me the truth that she didn't do any of that. The manager also said that my wife was giving away free items to "her friends" yet we just moved to Indiana a few weeks ago and we don't know anyone. Is this a case for a lawsuit or not? If anyone would have any advice on this, please reply, we don't have much money for a lawyer. Thanks.
Q: Is this a case for a lawsuit or not?

A: Nothing in your post sounds defamatory to me. It's okay to give away free things (as far as I know).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on the information in your post, no, this is not a case for a lawsuit.

nowsadparent

correction

I'm so sorry, I meant to say that she was accused of giving away company product for free, in other words, stealing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That still, at this time, does not give you cause for a lawsuit. It is legal for an employer to fire her on suspicion of theft, even if they are mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">