• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cost Sharing of Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phinner

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA

This isn't really a law question per say. We recently moved into a new house in October. Our house and the neighbor's house face 180 degrees of each other (So our backyard-side fence is a side fence in their front yard and visa-versa -- their backyard-side fence is a side fence in our front yard). We knew we would be replacing the back fence of our backyard after we moved in, but in looking at the side fence, it could use replacing also. It is quite shakey. My question is - would it be unreasonable for us to ask the neighbors to share half the cost of the side fence (the fence that divides our back and their front yard)? Or should we foot the cost of the fence being as it encloses our backyard and our dogs? I'll say we have met the neighbors and are on good terms with them, but haven't really socialized with them.

S

seniorjudge

phinner said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA

This isn't really a law question per say. We recently moved into a new house in October. Our house and the neighbor's house face 180 degrees of each other (So our backyard-side fence is a side fence in their front yard and visa-versa -- their backyard-side fence is a side fence in our front yard). We knew we would be replacing the back fence of our backyard after we moved in, but in looking at the side fence, it could use replacing also. It is quite shakey. My question is - would it be unreasonable for us to ask the neighbors to share half the cost of the side fence (the fence that divides our back and their front yard)? Or should we foot the cost of the fence being as it encloses our backyard and our dogs? I'll say we have met the neighbors and are on good terms with them, but haven't really socialized with them.
Q: My question is - would it be unreasonable for us to ask the neighbors to share half the cost of the side fence (the fence that divides our back and their front yard)?

A: No.

John Se

for sure Ask but dont expect much

I would ask but not really expect much $$$. Sometimes neighbors simply cant afford to do the job. My neighborhood is becoming a mix of original elderly owners and new buy-ins with bucks. Generally the new people have to fork up!

Shel77

So the fence in the back is yours and your paying to replace it, the side fence that you are thinking of sharing the cost with the neighbor currently belongs to who? If it is yours I would pay to replace it on my own and that way to won't run into issues latter on. If you can afford to it is always best to pay for the fence and that way its yours. IMHO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">