• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Filing Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JASMIN54

What is the name of your state? California

Can I contest My Divorce without a Lawyer present and/ or Represent myself in my fight to recieve spousal support? If So What are the Pro's and Con's of taking this sort of Action? :confused:

Randall Somer

First, I am not an attorney. Second, I understand that attorneys can be completely out of reach of the financially destitute divorcee. Therefore, one at times has no choice but, to attempt defending one's rights without the luxury of an attorney. The cons, attorneys, and judges are attorneys too, hate those who represent themselves. Strike one. Our legal system is a very complex unfriendly environment; don't expect legal help from anyone. Plan on spending 100's of hours reading every king of legal help you can find, which is hard to find, and difficult to understand. Strike two. Read the laws, court rules, case law, and if you have the time and money go to law school. If you don't have money or the time, bend over as far as you can and kiss your case goodbye. Here are a couple of things that may help you (so, at least you can say you made a good go of it):

California Laws: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html
Court Rules: California Courts: Rules
California Courts: Reference: Other Reports and Publications: Self-Represented Litigants
California Courts: Forms
Code of Federal Regulations: Main Page
Jurisdictionary - Legal Self-Help Step-by-Step
lexisONE:

As I said before I am not an attorney. I have found the above links helpful to me as I have tried to do the pro se thing. There are limitless more things needed I am sure, but I don’t want a law degree. Good Luck

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">