• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my child was hancuffs at 9 years old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinlarimore

hello everyone i have a question my child is bioplar and his school called 911 because he was having one of his episodes the police showed up first they handcuffed my son and made him walk out the school and the hancuffs are the police allowed to this to my my child, he is only 9 years old i live in newyork city ? :mad: :(

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

OK, so your son has a condition that causes him to be disruptive and possibly violent (you provided no details), and has probably demonstrated this on more than one occasion. The police need to prevent injury to himself and others and remove him from the school. No doubt his mental state is preventing him from complying with the officers.

Would you have preferred that they used a Taser? Or perhaps their magic sleep ray?

Police have a limit amount of resources at their disposal. Your child's humiliation is far less of a problem than the potential lawsuits if the police didn't do their job and your son injured himself or others in resisting the police or school officials.

robinlarimore

i am asking a question i am not talking about any law suits all i know is i have a very sick child i'm starts to find out my childs rights and his type of conditon and as for your question no i wouldn't rather then laser tag him

Heather2

robinlarimore said:
i am asking a question i am not talking about any law suits all i know is i have a very sick child i'm starts to find out my childs rights and his type of conditon and as for your question no i wouldn't rather then laser tag him
I don't know if the rules are the same in your state but in Texas it is standard procedure to handcuff someone who is mentally unstable while being trasported, age doesn't matter. It is for the safety of the cop and mentally unstable person.

CdwJava

There could be a number of reasons why they handcuffed him. It could be to control him and for everyone's safety ... and it could also have been a means of conveying a point to the child. Some times being slapped in cuffs and treated like "a criminal" is a good wake-up call to kids who are causing problems.

If I am taking a child away for any criminal act, I will almost always handcuff them - even at 9 years old. Often, it sends a message to the child that he/she will not soon forget.

- Carl

usbs

same laws in u.s.

tyson-bird said:
I don't know if the rules are the same in your state but in Texas it is standard procedure to handcuff someone who is mentally unstable while being trasported, age doesn't matter. It is for the safety of the cop and mentally unstable person.
he oh great u s of a allows officers to use the amount of force in their opinion to neutralize the problem you cant make exceptions for mental issues

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hello everyone i have a question my child is bioplar and his school called 911 because he was having one of his episodes the police showed up first they handcuffed my son and made him walk out the school and the hancuffs are the police allowed to this to my my child, he is only 9 years old i live in newyork city ?

Last edited by robinlarimore : Today at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling

robinlarimore said:

My response:

You edited your post for "spelling"? Sweetheart, your use of the English language has more problems than mere "spelling"!

Your grammar is terrible - - no periods, no commas, run-on sentences, and the list goes on and on!

Did you ever get an education? I'd sue the school system if I were you!

IAAL

P.S. "laser tag"? Who said anything about "laser tag"? The word is "Taser", without the "tag" - - because it's not a "game".

Last edited:

CdwJava

usbs said:
he oh great u s of a allows officers to use the amount of force in their opinion to neutralize the problem you cant make exceptions for mental issues
The law allows us to use reasonable force to overcome resistance or to gain compliance with lawful orders. And handcuffs are not "force", per se, but they ARE a restraint device.

I could cite numerous incidents I personally know of where mentally ill subjects assaulted and even killed police officers and others.

No, we don't make exceptions for "mental issues" ... plus, very few cops are psychologists or psychiatrists, and even if they were, they are not going to roll the dice with their lives.

- Carl

JLane

I'm no lawyer

As a police officer (VA) I know that I am not only allowed but obligated to do what I must to keep myself and those around me safe. You have a unique knowledge of your son having raised him. You are much better equipped to know/understand the level of violence (if any) you son will rise to if provoked. As a police officer I cannot take that risk. I don’t know your son from any other person on the street and in an age where kids get angry and bring guns and explosives to school I don’t think this particular incident sounds excessive in the least.

You Are Guilty

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
P.S. "laser tag"? Who said anything about "laser tag"? The word is "Taser", without the "tag" - - because it's not a "game".
This response has given me the (admittedly brilliant) idea to invite the OPs son over to play some "taser tag" with NYPD's finest (for charity, of course). I'll use the resulting fame to market the game to the rest of America's crime-riddled cities. I will the the Comissioner in a the TaserTag League of America (and yes, I will have a very strict steriod policy).

If anyone is interested in owning a team in their town, let me know
:D

nextwife

Also, a bi-polar or even ADHD kid OFF meds can be very unpredictable and impulsive. If you have one, you KNOW this is true. Some schools have buses rolling at different times of day, delivery trucks and other hazards TO THE CHILD. The cuffs may have helped convey a sense of restraint and control to the child and prevented their bolting, fighting or attempting to bolt - possibly into the path of a vehicle.

robinlarimore

,thankyou for your advice

thanks everyone for all your advice and for those people who want to have smart remarks you have a real problem you need to deal with , people here are asking for advice not for your stupied ass remarks and i can write the way i feel like it that my problem and don't worry where i got my education
but do wonder who raised you because you have no respect at all . my advice to you learn some respect as for every one else thankyou very much again

john_w

Robin:

So many jerks, so little time. You should click the "report bad posts" icons on the most offensive posts. Those folks can have their accounts revoked for rudeness.

BelizeBreeze

john_w said:
Robin:

So many jerks, so little time. You should click the "report bad posts" icons on the most offensive posts. Those folks can have their accounts revoked for rudeness.
Sure, go for it.

What a dunce :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">