• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners insurance dropping me for outrageous reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Treygn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alabama

My wife and I recently puchased our 1st home in November '04. My homeowners insurance originally insured me, no questions asked. I then received a letter stating they were going to drop me because they found a water damage claim filed by the previous owner in 2002. They stated that meant an increased loss risk due to possible mold. This was crazy so I appealed. They decided not to drop me pending a home inspection for mold (since it had been two years when the claim was filed). Well I just received a letter stating that my insurace will be dropped next month but not because of mold (they found none). Now they are dropping me because of a low hanging wire in my neighbor's yard and "unconventional" wiring and connection to the central air conditioner. Is this not a classic example of bad faith and being singled out? I walked around my neighborhood and every home has the same type of wiring associated with their a/c unit (older homes that were retrofitted with central air after construction). And they stated that it was power lines hanging low in my neighbor's yard and that is clearly an incorrect statement. I would appreciate any advice you could give me to keep them from dropping me and therefore giving me problems in the future with securing affordable homeowners ins.

claimlaw

Insurers always reserve the right to cancel or non-renew based upon a new risk realization. A well educated agent, CPCU or underwriter could answer in more detail about the insurers limitations. The practical effect is that they can cancel you.

I would find another insurer ASAP! Before you are cancelled. If you can delay the cancellation with some "appeal" as you put it, that may buy you some needed time to come up with a new policy.

Bad faith is a result of some tortious breach of contract. Not sure I see that here.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">