• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft of Documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bononos

What is the name of your state?
Well, the ex is calling leaving voice mails again. Yes, I saved and transfered it to a recorder, threatening to file theft charges against me if I have any documentation of his past income, pay stubs, W-2.
We were married and sharing a file cabinet. It was originally my file cabinet, I took it when divorcing. He has never asked for anything, including bill statemnets, birth cert. copy, diploma, nothing from the cabinet in 3 years. He still hasn't asked for any of it, just the income stuff.
Now, CS hearing is coming, he is aware I have proof of past income and said these are "legal" documents and it is theft and I have to return them by so-and-so date or he'll file charges.
I do not scare on his empty threats, but want to be sure on this.
Is this theft?
Do I have to return this stuff?
We filed married filing seperate on the tax returns for that year so the W-2 is only in his name.

Some Random Guy

Make photocopies.

Bring to a notary with a witness and have the notary look at the copies and the original and sign a nice little document saying that the photocopies are correct replications of the originals.

Return the originals.

Problem solved.

LdiJ

bononos said:
What is the name of your state?
Well, the ex is calling leaving voice mails again. Yes, I saved and transfered it to a recorder, threatening to file theft charges against me if I have any documentation of his past income, pay stubs, W-2.
We were married and sharing a file cabinet. It was originally my file cabinet, I took it when divorcing. He has never asked for anything, including bill statemnets, birth cert. copy, diploma, nothing from the cabinet in 3 years. He still hasn't asked for any of it, just the income stuff.
Now, CS hearing is coming, he is aware I have proof of past income and said these are "legal" documents and it is theft and I have to return them by so-and-so date or he'll file charges.
I do not scare on his empty threats, but want to be sure on this.
Is this theft?
Do I have to return this stuff?
We filed married filing seperate on the tax returns for that year so the W-2 is only in his name.
I assume that you also still have your joint tax returns? With W2 copies attached to the returns as is required by law? Those are your property because you are also a signatory to the return. Give everything else back to him...because those tax returns are all you need. He is grasping at straws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">