• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid in Cash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

honeylipsmoon

What is the name of your state? New York

I'm a student and I work part-time. This is my first job and I don't know anything about taxes. I get paid every week in cash and receive a payroll sheet of the taxes taken out. I've heard that if I get paid in cash then my employer shouldn't be taking out taxes from my pay. Is that true? I've noticed that among the 5 people there, I'm the only one he takes taxes out off. Also if my boss shouldn't be taking taxes out, can I get back all my taxes from him? Thank you very much.

LdiJ

honeylipsmoon said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I'm a student and I work part-time. This is my first job and I don't know anything about taxes. I get paid every week in cash and receive a payroll sheet of the taxes taken out. I've heard that if I get paid in cash then my employer shouldn't be taking out taxes from my pay. Is that true? I've noticed that among the 5 people there, I'm the only one he takes taxes out off. Also if my boss shouldn't be taking taxes out, can I get back all my taxes from him? Thank you very much.
He is supposed to be taking taxes out of your pay whether he pays you in cash or gives you a check. It illegal for an employer NOT to withhold taxes.
You also should make sure that you are given a W2 at the end of the year.

Snipes5

And while you're at it, save every scrap of evidence you have as to what you were paid and what was withheld.

Keep a log of pay dates and amounts.

This will come in right handy should your employer neglect to issue you a W-2 next January.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">