• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspected of Identity Theft / Grand Larcney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bill_calvin

What is the name of your state? New York.

I was questioned by NYPD detectives regarding a identity theft case. They came to my home, and asked me to go to the police station to clear up two things.
1) A warrant for my arrest (actually under a name similar to mine, but not me) and
2) Details regarding a credit card. Upon arriving at the police station, the officer asked questions regarding my identity.

After several minutes, came back to confirm that the name on the warrant was not mine, and that my license was cleared. Regarding the second issue, I was told that a credit card was issued under someone else's name, but sent to my address, and signed for from a UPS truck driver. That card was used to obtain merchandise in Staten Island, NY. The date that the UPS item was signed for, I was at work. 2 days later, when I called the officer to provide proof of my whereabouts, and was told that I was no longer under suspicion, and my record was cleared.

What I want is to ensure that my record is clear, and that any reference to me in the report, and all information gathered is either destroyed, or special notation is made that i am clear. Can I get an official notice from the NYPD that I am no longer suspected or implicated in anyway? Please let me know my rights.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">