• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onikanovali

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I had a baby in September of 2004 ,and at the time, me and my daughter lived with my parents. I moved in with my boyfriend and his parents in January of 2005. His parents bought her a crib and changing table before she was born (about $600), and have bought her clothes, diapers etc. Neither me or my boyfriend are or were employed. My parent have bought her a car seat and stroller (about $200) as well as clothes and some diapers. His parents have bought most of the clothes and diapers, but his mother buys her clothes when I don't ask her to because she loves to shop no matter what it's for. Now my mom thinks that she should be able to claim my daughter on her taxes this year, and so does my boyfriend's dad. I was just trying to figure out who legally has the right.

Snipes5

Your parents, because the child lived with them the entire time she was alive during 2004. As far as the IRS is concerned, for a child born during the year, that constitutes 12 months.

They can also claim you, if your income was below $3100 for the year.

That is for 2004.

If you live with your boyfriend's parents in 2005, they get to claim you and the child for that year.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">