• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support deviation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sm087

What is the name of your state? WA
Back in December of 2001 my husband was required to pay his ex-wife 615 per month in child support for their two children. At the time they had a standard visitation schedule of every other weekend, alternating holidays etc...We've been fighting to see the kids more for a few years now, and finally this January, she agreed to a 50/50 parenting plan which they both signed and filed in court. A couple of weeks ago we filed a petition to modify the child support based on the parenting plan and the fact that we have a new child to support. She hired an attorney and is responding that any reduction in child support would be a financial hardship for her...we can't even afford the attorney for ourselves. I'm just wondering if anyone knows much about a how a judge will deviate in this state, and if they use any special formulas for time spent? Any info would help. Thanks!

sunshineinrain

there is help

http://www.courts.wa.gov/selfhelp/index.cfm?fa=selfhelp.display&fileID=csbasic

The internet is a wealth of information, above is a link for WA, they offer lots of information on this very topic, the judge will take into consideration how much time the children spend with each family, and each familys ability to pay as well as the fact that you have a new family together. I have had to do a lot of research on this area myself. you can do a search for "child support Washington" and there are worksheets as well as the statutes. Good luck!

sm087

Thanks. Unfortunately it looks like there aren't any special formulas...just up to the judge's discretion. That's what I was afraid of. As far as paperwork goes it doesn't look good for us, since we make more than three times what she makes. Just frustrating when we work so hard to provide for the kids while they're with us, and end up paying so much because their mom chooses to get min. wage jobs and only work 6mos out of the year as to prevent her disqualification for subsidized housing....I could go on but it's useless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">