• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how many retainers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

antoniomelandri

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My case, as you know from a previous posting, has been dragging on for a year now, and certainly not for my fault. My attorney is asking now for second retainer of $2,500 for two reasons: the previous court ruling has recently been dismissed "for want of prosecution", so my attorney is suggesting to file action for voluntary paternity; this is made necessary, she says, because the ex keeps denying visitations; she adds that this makes my case technically "new" hence the need for another retainer; meanwhile the opposing counsel has proposed to settle the case on the merits. I am tired, and yes, I want visitations, but, I also want to settle (what remains under dispute is visitations, and a few medical bills). Is all the above worth another $2,500 retainer? Can an attorney ask for as many retainers as he/she pleases? I thought a retainer is a once :cool: :cool: -for-all deal, and then we proceed with normal billing as we go along....M.

S

seniorjudge

antoniomelandri said:

My case, as you know from a previous posting, has been dragging on for a year now, and certainly not for my fault. My attorney is asking now for second retainer of $2,500 for two reasons: the previous court ruling has recently been dismissed "for want of prosecution", so my attorney is suggesting to file action for voluntary paternity; this is made necessary, she says, because the ex keeps denying visitations; she adds that this makes my case technically "new" hence the need for another retainer; meanwhile the opposing counsel has proposed to settle the case on the merits. I am tired, and yes, I want visitations, but, I also want to settle (what remains under dispute is visitations, and a few medical bills). Is all the above worth another $2,500 retainer? Can an attorney ask for as many retainers as he/she pleases? I thought a retainer is a once :cool: :cool: -for-all deal, and then we proceed with normal billing as we go along....M.

No one can answer these questions except your attorney. Have a really serious discussion with her about this stuff.

Phnx02

antoniomelandri said:

Sometimes what an attorney means by asking for more "retainer money" is simply she anticipates more legal bills and is asking you to pay up front by "depositing" more money into your account with the office. She will then bill you accordingly from this account. In other words, she wants to make sure she gets paid before proceeding any further! This is common.

antoniomelandri

Thanks. OK, so let this be a lesson for everyone: if you keep telling your attorney about your financial distress, the attorney is going to think you won't be able to pay legal fees and will consequently charge retainers. Walk the fine line between modesty and begging.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">