• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what r my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nettynet

What is the name of your state? Delaware
My husband has committed adultery and now wants a divorce
so that he can be with the other woman. We have 4 rental
properties and the main home. We have no children together
but he has a son that is 11. We have been married four 7 yrs.
I make more money than he, and he wants to sell the properties and split the proceeds after pay all of our dept. Am
I entitled to alimony since he wants the divorce? He has moved out of our home but still helps with his portion of all
the bills. Need an answer soon.

Last edited:

LdiJ

nettynet said:
What is the name of your state? Delaware
My husband has committed adultery and now wants a divorce
so that he can be with the other woman. We have 4 rental
properties and the main home. We have no children together
but he has a son that is 11. We have been married four 7 yrs.
I make more money than he, and he wants to sell the properties and split the proceeds after pay all of our dept. Am
I entitled to alimony since he wants the divorce? He has moved out of our home but still helps with his portion of all
the bills. Need an answer soon.
No, you are not entitled to any alimony....you REALLY need an attorney to determine the property settlement.

nextwife

Alimony is NOT based upon "who wants the divorce". As you make more, you would be the one more likely to be ordered to pay alimony. But, as this is a "short term marriage" alimony is unlikely.

momtooo

Good idea

I think your husband has a good idea about selling the property and paying off the debt and spliting the proceeds. Lets say you want to keep the house, have it appraised and pay him half of what the house appraised for less the balance due on the mortgage. Tell the appraiser your going through a divorce so he doesn't bump up the price of the house because he thinks your refinancing. Then turn around and refinance the house in your name. I agree with your husband on this. Put the money in your pocket instead of your attorneys.

You make more money than your husband, you could end up paying him alimony. So, try to settle everything before you file.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">