• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 year-old went to live with her Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnneMarie95

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have been the custodial parent of my daughter since my divorce over 12 years ago. I remarried a few years ago and have a three-year old and another baby due in a few months.

My ex has been paying $100/week child support. My 14-year-old moved in with her dad two weeks ago. Now he says I must pay him child support of $150 a week and he has promised our daughter that he will give all the money to her to spend however she wants.

I know my ex will have to go to court to get the child support ruling changed. Would the court be able to use my present husband's income to make a determination or would it look only at my income? I babysit parttime and my income is less than $300 a month. Can I be forced to put my little children in daycare and go to work so I can pay child support to my ex? I have been out of the workforce for years and I live in a small town. I don't think I can make enough to pay for daycare and child support. Should I get an attorney now?

BelizeBreeze

The REAL question is why your daughter is living with her father? If you are the custodial parent and you gave permission, it's a good way to LOSE custody. And yes, if you lose custody then you will be required to pay support, just as he was. The amount you pay will be determined by your standard of living as oppossed to his.

nextwife

An income can be imputed to you based upon what you are capable of earning. IT amy not be $150/week though, it may be minimum wage or based on your educational level and earning capacity.

Just as a male parent is not allowed to shirk CS responsibility to the CP by staying home to care for a new child from a different relationship, a female NCP also is considered responsible to help support the children who are not living with her.

LdiJ

AnneMarie95 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have been the custodial parent of my daughter since my divorce over 12 years ago. I remarried a few years ago and have a three-year old and another baby due in a few months.

My ex has been paying $100/week child support. My 14-year-old moved in with her dad two weeks ago. Now he says I must pay him child support of $150 a week and he has promised our daughter that he will give all the money to her to spend however she wants.

I know my ex will have to go to court to get the child support ruling changed. Would the court be able to use my present husband's income to make a determination or would it look only at my income? I babysit parttime and my income is less than $300 a month. Can I be forced to put my little children in daycare and go to work so I can pay child support to my ex? I have been out of the workforce for years and I live in a small town. I don't think I can make enough to pay for daycare and child support. Should I get an attorney now?
You are going to be responsible for paying child support. It certainly isn't going to be 150.00 a week. Your husband's income won't come into play...only your's. However its likely that a judge would impute an income to you rather than going on what you currently earn. As Nextwife said how much is imputed would be based on either minimum wage or potential earnings. However again...its not going to be 150.00 a week. I would be surprized if its even half of that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">