• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

privacy issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nib021

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

I WAS TERMINATED FROM MY JOB IN JANUARY OF 2005, BEFORE THE TERMINATION I WAS INTERVIEWED BY MY FORMER EMPLOYER'S SECURITY DEPARTMENT. THEY WERE INVESTIGATING IF I HAD VIOLATED COMPANY POLICY BY PERFORMING MAINTENANCE ON A FAMILY MEMBERS ACCOUNT. DURING THE INTERVIEW I ADMITTED THAT I HAD VIOLATED THE POLICY WHICH IN ITSELF WAS ENOUGH TO GET ME FIRED, BUT AT THAT POINT THE INVESTIGATOR WENT ON TO ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY PERSONAL FINANCES AND MY PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNTS, I WAS ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CHECKS I HAD WRITTEN AND DEPOSITS I HAD MADE, I TOLD THE INVESTIGATOR THAT I INTENDED ON FILING BANKRUPTCY. I ANSWERED ALL OF THE QUESTIONS IN HOPES THAT I WOULD SAVE MY JOB. I THINK THAT MY PRIVACY WAS VIOLATED BECAUSE I WAS FORCED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE REASON I WAS BROUGHT INTO THE INTERVIEW. I WAS HUMILIATED AND HAVE SUFFERED EMOTIONAL HARDSHIP SINCE THE INTERVIEW. I ADMITTED TO THE VIOLATION OF POLICY WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF THE INTERVIEW BUT WAS KEPT THERE, FOR 2 MORE HOURS WHILE THE INVESTIGATOR ASKED ME THE QUESTIONS ABOUT MY FINANCES. BEFORE I WAS ALLOWED TO LEAVE I HAD TO WRITE EVERYTHING I HAD SAID IN A STATEMENT, BUT WAS NOT GIVEN A COPY OF THAT STATEMENT. SOON AFTER MY TERMINATION I WAS DENIED UNEMPLOYMENT AND NOW HAVE TO GO IN FRONT OF A JUDGE TO FIGHT FOR IT. I WOULD LIKE TO PURSUE LEGAL ACTION.

Some Random Guy

turn off the caps lock its annoying.

1. You broke the rules and were terminated for cause. You admitted it, you signed a document to that effect, there is no reason that you should get unemployment.

2. About the remaining 1 hour and 50 minutes...
From your post it sounds like you work at a bank or credit reporting agency. Since you have admitted to these other illegal and/or unethical acts, security was trying to find out what else you have been doing. Security tends to ask prying questions in these situations.

You could have left at any time, but you stayed and endured the questioning in an attempt to lessen your punishment (i.e. not get arrested or fired). This was company security, not the police. Of course, if what you did was illegal, then security may have called the police and had you arrested. But that's ok.

I see nothing wrong with what security did. In fact, the company would be irresponsible if they didn't question you to determine what other things you may have done to their accounts.

Beth3

Ditto to what Random Guy said. Nobody held a gun to your head. You could have refused to answer the questions and left any time you wanted to.

Having admitted to violating the company's policy, I expect the security officer was trying to determine if there were any more potential violations that needed investigation. You have no basis to take legal action against your employer as no laws were violated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">