• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convicted felons and SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

The wife of a guy I went to HS was approved for SSDI three years ago, supposedly for Marfan's syndrome, heart disease, and who knows what else. She wasn't able to walk, due to her many disabilities, and medicare paid for her to have an electric wheelchair as well as oxygen full-time.

Two years ago, she was arrested and charged with murdering her grandmother. When she was taken to the jail, they informed her that they did not have the facilities to care for her medical needs, and therefore she would need to be transferred to the state prison system until her trial. A miracle happened, and within days, she was able to walk and all her medical problems cleared up. (Yeah, right!) As a result, she was able to stay at the county jail until her trial.

She has just been convicted of the murder, and will be sentenced soon. Will her children be eligible for social security on her record while she's in prison?

I think they won't be, since she's now a convicted felon, and the state will be paying her expenses for the rest of her life. Also, due to the way she was "cured" of her disabilities, she is no longer disabled.

(No, I don't believe she ever had anything wrong with her. And, yes, her husband still thinks she is innocent and that she does have all these health problems. He's a nice guy, but he's extremely naive.) We all think she's a scam artist, and we're all glad she got caught before she got tired of her husband and killed him too.

Thanks!

tigger22472

I dont' believe the children will be entitled to anything. They only would have if she would still be receiving benefits however, once you are incarcerated benefits cease. This is one of the things you are required to inform them of to stop benefits. With all the SS issues that are on the table right now it's doubtful that the children will get anything since she's not drawing.

Indiana Filer

Thanks for the answer. I really feel that my HS friend has been royally screwed by this evil witch.

On one hand, I'm glad that we (the taxpayers) won't be supporting her kids through SSDI, but on the other hand my friend could use the money. He adopted her kids after her first husband gave up parental rights in order to cut all ties with her, so my friend is now going to be responsible for raising her five kids.

Oh well, live and learn I guess.

bjl1105

Indiana Filer said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

The wife of a guy I went to HS was approved for SSDI three years ago, supposedly for Marfan's syndrome, heart disease, and who knows what else. She wasn't able to walk, due to her many disabilities, and medicare paid for her to have an electric wheelchair as well as oxygen full-time.

Two years ago, she was arrested and charged with murdering her grandmother. When she was taken to the jail, they informed her that they did not have the facilities to care for her medical needs, and therefore she would need to be transferred to the state prison system until her trial. A miracle happened, and within days, she was able to walk and all her medical problems cleared up. (Yeah, right!) As a result, she was able to stay at the county jail until her trial.

She has just been convicted of the murder, and will be sentenced soon. Will her children be eligible for social security on her record while she's in prison?

I think they won't be, since she's now a convicted felon, and the state will be paying her expenses for the rest of her life. Also, due to the way she was "cured" of her disabilities, she is no longer disabled.

(No, I don't believe she ever had anything wrong with her. And, yes, her husband still thinks she is innocent and that she does have all these health problems. He's a nice guy, but he's extremely naive.) We all think she's a scam artist, and we're all glad she got caught before she got tired of her husband and killed him too.

Thanks!
The benefits of the dependent children continue while the benefits of the felon are suspended. "Payment continues to all auxiliaries on the account when the HA is suspended."

You can find this on SSA's website :

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202607025

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">