• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

imputed income and standard of living

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dabrers

What is the name of your state? CA
I have been paying support for 5 years. I lost my job 2 years ago and was unemployed for a few months then got a new job at about 75% of my previous pay (a certain change in circumstances). I have since remarried and my current wife has been unemployed for 2 years(and has 1 child). My ex and I settled to let her keep the family house, and she had to have her father on the mortgage to make the settlement split, plus help with the mortgage payments. I live in a cramped 3BD apt, that is about 5 miles from the family house and my 2 kids are in high school. We originally had a 50/50 custody but my kids find it more convenient to stay in their old house near all their friends. The house is 4bd, worth about $1mil, so the standard of living discrepancy is huge.
I jus filed for a modification, and am trying to impute the mortgage (100% paid by my ex father-in-law) as income. Her attorney is denying it outright.
She also has stated that since the kids only spend about 4 nights a month with me now that she should get more support.
Bottom line is..you can't get blood from a turnip..I simply can't afford to pay her. She maintains a very wealthy lifestyle and chooses to work part time, while I live in squaler. My kids don't want to stay here when they can share in the luxury (can't blame them).
I'm at my wits end....any ideas on how a judge might assess the situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">