• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get out of my contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aruray

What is the name of your state?NY

I am a foreign nurse. There have been recent changes in immigration laws that will delay employment for nurses like me effective Jan 1 2005. So, right around Dec 28 2004 I signed a contract with this staffing agency in the premise that they will file an immigrant petition before the deadline. Finished paperwork for the petition the night of dec 29. Petition did not leave the office until dec 30. Receipt date by immigration Jan3 because dec 31 was a holiday.

They did file a petition but the immigration service center received it a day late. And because of that I cant work right now.

So, yes the agency tried to tell me that there is a possibility that the petition might not arrive in time but had continued anyway. Can I still get out of my contract of two years because they failed to keep part of our agreement ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one here can comment on a contract they have not read. You will need to show the contract to a local attorney before you can get an answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">