• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are our rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SJ2BACPA

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA. I have been married for 10 years. We have a very healthy relationship. Thank God! My husband was served papers recently for the paternity of a 13 year old child. He was unaware of this and we are not sure what to do. We have a daughter of our own and we have no idea what our rights are. The other woman has recently had another child and filed for state help. So, now she is coming after us after all these years.

LdiJ

SJ2BACPA said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA. I have been married for 10 years. We have a very healthy relationship. Thank God! My husband was served papers recently for the paternity of a 13 year old child. He was unaware of this and we are not sure what to do. We have a daughter of our own and we have no idea what our rights are. The other woman has recently had another child and filed for state help. So, now she is coming after us after all these years.
Your husband will take the DNA test and find out whether or not he is the child's father. If he is he will be ordered to pay child support.

He can also pursue visitation/custody rights. However I will be honest and say that I know specifically of cases like this, involving teens, where the father did not recieve visitation or custody rights because the teen was opposed. If the child believes that someone else is her father this could really rock her world. If she doesn't believe that someone else is her father she may want to get to know her dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">