• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PreNupt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jooney

I am marrying a man in Missouri who is paying child support for 1 child - 16 years old who lives in Colorado (he also has an 18 year old who will move in with us in a couple of months as she is going to college in Missouri).

Do you recommend I get a prenuptial agreement as far as protecting my finances from the exwife in case she wants to sue for more money once we are married?

nextwife

I'm a big believer in prenups. I had one done because of my own experience as a child that proved that even the most wonderful, devoted father can become suddenly unable to function, earn a living or even talk through no fault of his own. While full disabilty can be "sudden", modifications are not able to be correspondingly sudden..

You must also be certain to understand how to keep premarital assets as seperate property and not co-mingle them with marital funds. It is essential to keep your own money in your own checking and savings, and any home or cars you now own in your own name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">