• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voice and handwriting samples

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hossman

Kansas What,if any options do I have if the police request a voice and handwriting sample? What may the police do if someone refuses to furnish the samples?

What is the name of your state? Kansas

C

CheeseBlotto

hossman said:
Kansas What,if any options do I have if the police request a voice and handwriting sample? What may the police do if someone refuses to furnish the samples?
Your options are to give them the samples, or make them get an order to compel you to do so. Sooner or later, you will be giving the samples.

CdwJava

hossman said:
Well, if you refuse to give them the police may be unable to confirm your status as the suspect ... but, they may not be able to rule you OUT as a suspect either.

They can obtain a court order for the information. Or, they can also obtain a search warrant and seize examples of your writings that exist elsewhere.

They will likely get what the want at some point.

Speak to an attorney.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

Q: What,if any options do I have if the police request a voice and handwriting sample?

A: Give them or face the consequences (maybe an arrest for hindering prosecution or something along those lines). These things are nontestimonial evidence and gathering them is noninvasive; the government is not prohibited by the Constitution or any other law is getting this info from you.

Q: What may the police do if someone refuses to furnish the samples?

A: See answer above.

conflix

hossman said:
Kansas What,if any options do I have if the police request a voice and handwriting sample?
Do yourself a BIG favor and consult an attorney before doing ANYTHING for the police.

As an American citizen, you have no obligation to voluntarily provide the police with information that might incriminate yourself.

Make them do their job and go to court and obtain a subpoena for what they want.

S

seniorjudge

conflix said:
As an American citizen, you have no obligation to voluntarily provide the police with information that might incriminate yourself.
True, but irrelevant here since the request was for non-testimonial evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">