• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandwalk

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Is the NCP finished paying child support when the child turns 18 or does the NCP have to continue paying after that also? My divorce papers states that I am finished paying when my son turns 18. I am wondering if I will have to pay not only until he is through school and also am wondering if it is law that a NCP pays for college also. Nothing said about either is in our divorce papers but my ex has already started bringing this up. What can I do to assure that this won't happen. If I help pay for college I want it to be on me and my sons terms.Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

My divorce papers states that I am finished paying when my son turns 18.
And although that is what your order says, it's not exactly correct. If your child has not yet graduated from high school at the age of 18, then support will continue until she/he graduates

Nothing said about either is in our divorce papers but my ex has already started bringing this up.
Well duh. What do you expect from her? To pay for it herself?

What can I do to assure that this won't happen.
That WHAT won't happen. Her bringing it up again or that you aren't ordered to pay?

If it's the first, a good roll of duct tape works well. If it's the second, well, it's not up to you really.

If I help pay for college I want it to be on me and my sons terms
Guess again. If she files for a modification it will be up to the court. However, the good news is, IF she files, the MOST she could get by court order is 33.3% of total college costs. SHE has the burden of 33.3% and guess who gets to pay the rest? Yep, Jr.

Typically, court-ordered child support ends when a child becomes eighteen years of age or finishes high school. However, Iowa law (section 598.21(5A)) provides that parents can be ordered, for good cause, to pay certain college expenses of a child. This amount is referred to as a "post secondary subsidy."

The amount of a court-ordered post secondary subsidy is based upon: (1) the reasonable cost of attending an in-state public institution for a course of study leading to an undergraduate degree; and (2) the child's financial resources including the availability of financial aid and the child's ability to work while attending school. The court shall apportion the cost remaining after deducting the child's expected contribution. However, the amount paid by each parent shall not exceed thirty-three and one-third percent of the total cost of the post secondary education. Iowa Code section 598.21(5A)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">