• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! My wife is Canadian and I'm American...How do I file???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vditomma

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

I married a Canadian woman in Dec 2004. She is now living with me. We are going through the immigration process. However, she does not have a visa yet. I would like to file married-joint, since she made a little while I made 4X more.

Questions:

1) She needs to file Canadian taxes. Do I still count her income with mine, as world income? That would be double counting.

2) She doesn't have a United States SS#. What do we do for her?

3) Is there anything special I need to fill out in regards to my 1040?

Thanks for your help!!!

LdiJ

vditomma said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

I married a Canadian woman in Dec 2004. She is now living with me. We are going through the immigration process. However, she does not have a visa yet. I would like to file married-joint, since she made a little while I made 4X more.

Questions:

1) She needs to file Canadian taxes. Do I still count her income with mine, as world income? That would be double counting.

2) She doesn't have a United States SS#. What do we do for her?

3) Is there anything special I need to fill out in regards to my 1040?

Thanks for your help!!!
You can apply for an itin (individual taxpayer identification number) for your wife. The application would have to accompany your return since she does not have a number now. You would continue to use that number until she is issued a social security number. Yes I believe that you would have to include her income with yours as world income.

vditomma

LdiJ said:
You can apply for an itin (individual taxpayer identification number) for your wife. The application would have to accompany your return since she does not have a number now. You would continue to use that number until she is issued a social security number. Yes I believe that you would have to include her income with yours as world income.
State:Oregon
My wife's income was all accrued in Canada. She has not worked since she has been in the US. My assumption is that we file Canadian income tax on her income in Canada. Then for my US taxes, no income from my wife will be included.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Snipes5

This is too complicated and has too many options for us to explain it to you here. Go see a competent Tax Professional who has experience dealing with US/Canadian tax issues.

If you do not do this, and make certain "elections" by mistake, it could cost you a good deal of money.

There's an EA named Joy Wilen who works out of Vancouver, WA. I recommend you give her a call. I believe it's listed under Wilen and Associates or something like that.

If you are not near WA, perhaps she can recommend someone who is closer to you, she knows professionals all through Washington and Oregon.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">