• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Paying College Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hit From Behind

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My childrens' father and I were divorced in 1995. At that time we shared 50/50 placement and custody and there was no child support order. My kids now live with their father and he has primary placement (we still share joint custody) and I pay court ordered child support (since 2003). There was never any mention of paying support past their high school graduation, either at the time of our divorce or later when the support order started.

It was my understanding that in Wisconsin, at least, if it's not written into the support agreement, I (as the non-custodial parent) am NOT required to pay past high school graduation towards college costs. That's not to say I won't help with college, but I am trying to find out if I will need to continue to pay child support to age 21. A friend recently told me that the laws were changing to get non-custodial parents to cover part of college costs.

Could you please clarify?

djworza

That is what my attorney said. I have a 17 1/2 year old that is going to be going to college this fall. My ex just took me back to court for more CS (and got it too) But it was made perfectly clear that my obligation stops when he turns 18 in August. I too am going to help him out but there is no ORDER in out CS order that says anything other than 18 years old.

BethM

At this time there are no laws on the books in Wisconsin regarding college expenses and post majority support. You will not be legally bound to pay college expenses unless it is something you had both agreed to and had included in your divorce decree.

The laws in most states change often and it pays to watch the laws so you don't get caught off guard. Right now though, you are only obligated until the child turns 18 or until the child is 19 if they are still in high school.

Take it from a parent who is paying all college expenses. It's a HUGE financial obligation even with my son working and helping out. Good for you for being willing to help with those expenses and I hope you are able to maintain that attitude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">