• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why does Child support enforcement take forever?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? GA

I have full custody of my boys and live in GA. Their father lives in NY and there is no child support order. I filed for Child Support Enforcemnt In December, provided them with his address, social security number, and he has been working for 1 month since getting out of jail, and they still haven't served him? What is the deal? I did their work for them, and the DA still hasn't served him yet, they are going to wait until he is no where to be found and by then my children will be graduated from high school. The state child support system sucks. I am better off flying to NY and serving him my self. Rediculous.

Why does Child support enforcement take forever?
Because they are under-staffed, under-paid and they all hate their jobs after being there a while. It's one of the most emotionally draining jobs there is. You might be better off doing it yourself or with a lawyer. I have heard GA CSE isn't that great with following thru on CS cases.

Fedupwithsystem

good question

The problem with the system is too many support cases, too little state workers, too much paperwork, and too little enforcement. You can read my story under "I am owed 40K" posting. It is very fustrating when you do half the work for the CSE, and by the time they act, the absent parent moves or changes jobs. My CSE knows were my ex is and will not take his drivers license away or put him in jail. As a matter of fact, when I asked her what she was waiting for she replied " I am waiting for him to lie to me" Anyway, you should find out from your CSE if your case has been sent to the state of NY CSE. If the answer is yes, I would call the CSE in NY, every single week to follow up. It is important that you make yourself known. If you know where he is working, give that info to CSE in NY. They can serve him at work.

Fl Cat7

Sorry to say they are right. It takes CSE here about 8 to 12 months after he stops paying before they drag him in to court. And he lives less than a mile away. If he is the kind that has to be forced to pay NEVER count on any money until it is in your hand. My ex has paid $24.55 in the last 6 months. I call every Thursday and it has helped some, it used to take longer. The bright side is the debt keeps adding up, never goes away and you get interest. Once it gets over a certain amount they will do a IRS intercept for taxes returns. Just keep calling them. Good luck. Cat

it is very frustrating my case was going nowhere because their are so many so i made a point to call them once a month every month make myself known and our case known and fresh and eventually they caught on and now they are on him like flies on sh**

Wow

Thanks for the encouragement, I just went ahead and filed the petition with new york myself, I have to go anyway now to get the visitation order modified since dad is now making death threats. This never ends. A leeson bought and paid for be careful who you let father your children, cause it haunts you for life. :eek:

firemyst

lets get together!

how about we all get together and take this to higher courts. this is bs. we should not have to struggle because our deadbeats don't want to take care of their kids. it's sickening...
Firemyst

Last edited:

Fedupwithsystem

system sucks

See my posting under "owed 40K". I said this. I wanted to know if a class action lawsuit can be brought against the states for failure to collect child-support. No one would answer yes or no. In my case, I did 90% of the work for the CSE. We know where the deadbeat lives. I have given them all the information, including cell phone. And they still do not prosecute. I contacted an attorney in the city he is living in, two days ago, and he was astounded by the lack of enforcement and high arrearage. He said I beat his record and he never thought that would happen. I am pissed because now I have to pay up to $1,000 for attorney and court fees, travel 12 hrs to appear for 5 minutes, and pay travel expenses. Meanwhile, I have to bring my three children, take them out of school, or try to find someone that can watch them for a few days. I have actively persuing this case for 9 years!!!B]

yes it was in new york, but this is the only way i can get the order modified, the judge would not allow me to testify over the phone. But I will just have to pray about it, and I will have a can of mace handy if he tries anything!!!!

ceara19

firemyst said:
how about we all get together and take this to higher courts. this is bs. we should not have to struggle because our deadbeats don't want to take care of their kids. it's sickening...
Firemyst
I agree 100%. I'm in Texas, and have had very little progress with CSE here. I've done all the research and leg work. My ex is behind $24,000 and that's just the CS. The CSE has all but refused to add in the over $30,000 in medical/dental and insurance reimbursment (my youngest had to have surgery before I was able to enroll him in my companies insurance plan). They still haven't made him start carrying ins. on the kids or repay me for the ins. I pay for. He has the money. He's not even doing a good job hiding it. I've turned over account numbers, property records, court papers regarding a lawsuit he filed and WON for over $40,000 and a copy of his mother's will leaving him several thousand $ while it was still in probate. CSE has no intention of trying to collect any of it. The only time there seems to be any progress is IF he gets a tax return and that's only because the FEDERAL government gets involved. They will not revoke his DL either. Their excuse: "since his paying now, it's our policy to leave well enough alone." yeah he's paying now, AFTER I hounded them for months and repeatedly gave them his employer info. Their solution was to collect the arrears at the rate of $100/mo. I've done ALOT of reseach on the Texas Attorney General's office. They have been going county by county and taking over the child support cases. Guess which one they took first. That's right, the cases where the NCP was already paying their CS voluntarily. Meaning, majority of the CS they 'collect' is from honest parents who were already paying their CS without 'encouragment' from CSE. Maybe they wouldn't be so over worked and under paid if they left the parents that are making an honest effort alone and focused on the deadbeats. What is the point of passing all of the "get tough laws" regarding CS if no one is going to enforce them? If anybody comes up with a solution, let me know! Sorry about the ranting and raving, but this is an issue that seriously irks me!

carofl93

Tired of Deadbeat Parents?

If you are tired of deadbeat parents getting away with denying the responsibilities they have to your children, please send an email to this address, and I will send you a link to the group:

[email protected]

My husband is part of a group fighting for the rights of our children. There are members in every state in the country. No cost to join, and it's a nice place to be able to vent your frustrations about the sorry state of the CSE offices and the deadbeats too.

We have had custody of my husband's daughter for 3 years and have recieved nothing but the run around from 2 different states as well as the US Navy regarding her deadbeat mother.

ceara19

legalcuriosity said:
How about a group for NCP's who have to deal with irresponsible CP's who don't have to answer to anyone and can pretty much do as they please?

While I feel sorry for some of you, there are NCP's like me who have nowhere to turn (outside of spending $$$$ for an attorney who'll probably do a half-assed job anyway) when the CP decides to come out of the woodwork after many, many years and now -- with no accountability for actions on her end -- and I am peeing in the wind. You CP's trying to get support don't own the bragging rights to "We Are Getting Screwed".
You're right! EVERYONE trying to do right by their child/ren only to be screwed over time & time again by CSE needs to get together and try to do somethig about it. Federal Claas action suits can be filed if enough people push hard enough. It's not easy, but it not impossible either. The state CSE office are in violation of FEDERAL law, some states are worse than others. There is no reason they should be allowed to get away with it, but they will until enough people get together an DEMAND a change. Not only do good parents get screwed by the CSE when they won't collect for CP's who are owed money and when they go after NCP's who are doing their part, but we all get screwed again when our hard earned tax money, that we could really use since they refuse to do their job, is wasted on an over-budgeted, under-staffed office full of people with NO legal background. Alot of the "caseworkers", in TX anyway, only have high school diplomas and a manual that they may or may not have read when they were hired! My local "Attorney Generals" office doesn't even have an actual ATTORNEY working in it. We might as well go ask the kid working the drive thru at McDonald's to help with our cases because he's just as qualified as most of CSE. It's not the caseworkers fault. They are gong to work everyday, doing the job the way they were trained to get a paycheck, just like the rest of us. The fault lies at the top of the food chain. ALL of us need to get together and force a change. Start writing letters to all of the newspapers in your state and keep writing until they start getting published. Write, call & email ALL of your state congressmen and every US congerssmen from your home state. If you can, go to your state capitol while they are in session and ask to speak to the house. Be persistant. Write every week, everyday if need be. They can only ignore the issue for so long. If they are flooded and overwelmed with letters from their constituents, they can only turn a deaf ear for so long. Remember, we gave them their jobs and just as easily, we can take them away!

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll step down off my soapbox and get to work on making a difference!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">