• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eybones

What is the name of your state? IL

I am the NCP , can i have child support lowered if the CP income has increased but the NCP income has stayed the same? Also, the divorce was in FL. and the child now lives in NC. and I(NCP) live in IL. The child support does not go through the courts, so who would I contact to modify it, or to change visitation or any legal matters that may come up in the future?The courts in NC?

Thanks
Eybones

If I were you I'd file in IL to have jurisdiction changed from FL to IL since neither party lives there. BUT, if you are successful in changing it to IL then you can't modify CS based on the CP having an increase in income. They don't do mods based on an increase or decrease for the CP.

You can check all 3 states involved here http://ocse3.acf.dhhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/selectastate.cfm

Last edited:

DOS2005

eybones said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I am the NCP , can i have child support lowered if the CP income has increased but the NCP income has stayed the same? Also, the divorce was in FL. and the child now lives in NC. and I(NCP) live in IL. The child support does not go through the courts, so who would I contact to modify it, or to change visitation or any legal matters that may come up in the future?The courts in NC?

Thanks
Eybones
I wouldn't know what to tell you. Probably call the state you live in now or where the child lives. If payments aren't going through the court system anyway maybe just try to rectify the situation with your ex. Tell him you would like to send less as you probably are not seeing the child much and the custodial parent moved anyway with the child since your divorce. If they are making more but you aren't making less than you were I dont' know if the amount would be changed unless you two can negotiate an agreement between yourselves. I live in Florida also and am a non custodial but I never get to see my kids and all but one that the original order was for aren't even eligible anymore for support as they are Adults and INdependent, yet I can't afford to go back to court to modify the order. Spouse has broken the settlement and law, walking all over my rights as a parent since day one but I am the one that would get into trouble if I don't use the proper legal channels. My Cs goes through the system though. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">