• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kids going to college, what age for NYS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pilot6060

What is the name of your state?NY
wife wants me out after 20yrs. kids are ready to go to college, Do I pay, how much. what about car insurance? she is a nurse and I a clerk. my mind is a mess.

A

absconder

$$$$$$$$$

Get a lawyer. Id like to hear how this plays out since theres no child support under 18 involved.Since when is a parent obligated to pay for a kids secondary education? Alot of poor folks are gonna end up in jail I guess. Even if a couple is still together they are obligated to pay for secondary education? Id love to hear some experts on this one. :eek:

nextwife

Child support in NY is to age 21 to whichever parent ends up with custody. As I understand it, college expenses are not automatically ordered, as CS is until 21. You have no less right to fight for custody than she. Likely they won't be living with either of you most of the time, anyway.

Even when ordered, many orders split the cost by thirds, one third paid by child, 1/3rd by each parent.

BL

absconder said:
Get a lawyer. Id like to hear how this plays out since theres no child support under 18 involved.Since when is a parent obligated to pay for a kids secondary education? Alot of poor folks are gonna end up in jail I guess. Even if a couple is still together they are obligated to pay for secondary education? Id love to hear some experts on this one. :eek:

I'm not an expert , but it all depends on the Parents income and ability to pay .

Obviously a Court is NOT going to Order a " Poor person " to pay expenses once the child is out of the home on his own .

That's what grants and financial aid , and part time jobs are for , if the kids really want to go get additional educations .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">